New iMac design. Improvement or setback?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You don't like the glossy screen? I think that's one of the best parts! The 24" iMac's screen is unbelievably crisp with such vivid colors.

The black ring seems to be a throwback to the black rim around the iPhone. Maybe it has something to do with how the glass is attached.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
You don't like the glossy screen? I think that's one of the best parts! The 24" iMac's screen is unbelievably crisp with such vivid colors.

The black ring seems to be a throwback to the black rim around the iPhone. Maybe it has something to do with how the glass is attached.

I hate the glossy screen, most people I know don't have a problem with it and they can't understand why I dislike them. I have always hated them, I've even tried using MacBooks and I just cant stand looking at it.

Reaction score
If I was simply wanting a sexy looking computer, the glossy screen would be great. However if I were using it all day long, then I would not like the glossy screen. I have tried them a couple of times and came away with mixed feelings. The reflections and glare just are not for me. Don't get me wrong, it looks sweet. Coming from the days of CRT monitors without anti-glare, then getting anti-glare, it was a nice improvement. Then we got LCD screens without any glare unless you had a very bright light source behind you. This just seems like a step backwards as I know it would not suit me well either at the office or in my residence. Hopefully they remove some bling for us people who don't prefer the glossy finish.

Reaction score
i like the old one better, it was more unique to apple's style... i also don't like the black rim and the glare..

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the glossy screens. There's too much glare. I don't understand why they didn't give you a choice of glossy or matte.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I think it would look weird without that black rim - having the picture right up to the aluminium - which would then prevent the rounded corners - would look much worse IMO.

The only change I'd make would be the keyboard - it should have had a black background under the keys to match the Mac itself, as without any black it looks odd. And I'd have redesigned the awful Mighty Mouse so it didn't suck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
And I'd have redesigned the awful Mighty Mouse so it didn't suck.

YES! I absolutely hate the thing, especially in comparison to the clearly superior mice from Logitech, and in some cases Microsoft.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The new iMac. Now in two-tone black and silver, to match the hideous HP you replaced.

Hey tech, don't be bashing my new HP AMD 64 Lappy with Black around the screen!! :D JK!

The case on the HP Lappy is Silvery/Gold and Black but otherwise it has that same kind of display with a black ring all around it!!

M

MacHeadCase

<Off topic>

:eek:

Golly gee! A poll on the looks of a computer attracts more voters than the Mac-Forums' Member of the Month poll...

</Off topic>

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
I still love my iMac ...I have too. I can't afford a new one ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5, 2.1Ghz
Is the remote still white as before?

I like the new design but am unsure about the reflective screen. I probabily will upgrade my G5 iMac in October with Leapord.
I'm also hoping they will get a better mouse as the mighty mouse is very poor and doesn't fit with the new iMac.

Reaction score
I still prefer the old white iMac's. Although this new design is slimmer and sleeker, it takes the iMac so much closer to your everyday computer, and away from their trademark white colour.

Reaction score
disappointment

I have to say almost everything about the new imac disappoints me. I currently own a 24" imac and these are the things which are wrong with the new one:

I really like the white imac look but the black and aluminium ones are growing on me, still apple should give people the option between the two like they did with the ipod.

Secondly. A glossy screen? why?? I've used glossy screen laptops. They look great buy as soon as you're anywhere adjacent to a window (or god forbid outdoors) the screen becomes useless. Once again, as with the macbooks, apple should give you a choice between glossy screen or normal matte.

The new keyboards. I cant decide whether i like these or not but why isnt a full wireless keyboard not available? rearranging the F keys? thats really annoying.

Lastly the graphics card. Fair enough it's a next gen card but reports say that it performs slower in some cases than last year's 7600gt. That's just poor.

What annoys me most if what all these things together tell me. Apple is trying to make this computer a media centre focused machine - glossy screen, media keys on the keyboard, HD graphics card which is poor for most things but watching movies and HD vid. Fair enough, expand the market by making it appeal to those who want a media centre, but remember that this is the machine that's just one step down from the professional mac pro so the imac has to cater to the serious user on a bit tighter budget too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I don't see how white is a "trademark" colour given that lots of Apple products - as in, more than half of them - are not white.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Internally I think the new imac is great. But externally I don't like it all. I think everyone above has said enough about it. Bar one thing. The mouse doesn't match the computer in looks as it did with the white imac.

And say the glass on the new imac gets scratched. Sure it protects the screen. But you're still looking through a scratched piece of glass and it's not like you can just go and get the glass replaced.

So my vote goes to the old imac for it's looks.

Reaction score
Apparently the remote doesn't stick to the side...

Personally, I'm not too fussed about the new design. It's nice, but I spend more time looking at what's on the screen than what's around it, so I'm more interested in iLife and Leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" IMAC ALU, 2.8GHZ, 4GB ram, 750gb HD, Leopard OSX.
I too am slightly disappointed by the new design. It may be quicker but apart from the keyboard... it seems like a facelift.

But my wife will get my old (now) 24" Intel Imac and I have just ordered the new Imac. I'm a sucker for the latest trick! I would have been happier if it included a free voucher for LEOPARD !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Powerbook G4, iPhone
If that there glossy screen starts giving you problems just dust it down with a can of Aqua-net, voila! instant matte screen! ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
<Off topic>

:eek:

Golly gee! A poll on the looks of a computer attracts more voters than the Mac-Forums' Member of the Month poll...

</Off topic>
LOL ~ a sad state of affairs!

I like the old iMac better though the new glossy screen appeals to me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.