future convert...

Reaction score
I am going to buy a Mac of some form in the next few weeks. I have used Windows since 3.11 and all of it's associated software. My only real concern with going Mac is that I work with Office created files (Word, Excel, and Power Point 98% of the time) on a daily basis. If I use iWorks, is it really as good as it appears to be at working with MS Office files? I have read the specs of this software and it all sounds great, but I would like some real world input on this matter.

Thank you
Derek

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I am going to buy a Mac of some form in the next few weeks. I have used Windows since 3.11 and all of it's associated software. My only real concern with going Mac is that I work with Office created files (Word, Excel, and Power Point 98% of the time) on a daily basis. If I use iWorks, is it really as good as it appears to be at working with MS Office files? I have read the specs of this software and it all sounds great, but I would like some real world input on this matter.

Thank you
Derek

Personally, I would just use NeoOffice. It's fully compatible with MS Office document types and it's completely free. Otherwise, you can always get MS Office for Mac, or the new iWork '08 suite.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 ghz blackbook ,g4 cube, powerbook g4, 8gb iphone
i have microsoft office one my mini...word excel powerpoint entourage...they sell it at the apple store

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 15-inch, 2.2GHz 2gb RAM 15-inch Widescreen
apple uses standards, the files they take in and export out are in the exact same format as a .doc made on a pc.

OP
R
Reaction score
cool! this all sounds good to me. i just did not want to have to dual boot Windows....i want to get away from ms crap.

thanks to all that replied.
Derek

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dont have one yet <sob>
Personally, I would just use NeoOffice. It's fully compatible with MS Office document types and it's completely free.

woa that's geat...just curious, why is it free ?
I mean was it written in the same spirit as GPL in the Linux realm ?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
woa that's geat...just curious, why is it free ?
I mean was it written in the same spirit as GPL in the Linux realm ?

Exactly. It's based on OpenOffice.org, which is licensed under the GPL.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.