Why is XP Good... ;)

OP
hype.it
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
Hmm.... you guys hi-jacked the thread.

Who mentioned Office? I said Microsoft sucked! It's just my personal opinon, you guys needn't agree, I'm sure I'm intittle to expressing my thoughts. However, can't speak for Office, don't have the need for it.

Normally, if some guy sends me a .doc or .ppt file, i open it on a PC then export in .rtf; why waste good money on a company that i don't support?

Are you guys getting paid by Microsoft? maybe your staff? Or maybe your just loyal MS supporters?

Because you/they create some lossy software, in some respects it's so buggy a mono-pod is more stable! when i buy bootlegs, i still feel like I'm getting ripped off!

(i don't condone software piracy, but buying bootlegs from the street is the smart person's way of creating more jobs for the low salary earning house hold. But, then again. Didn't microsoft's started this copying fiasco, when they copied Xerox's GUI interface? After Apple made it a success on their platform?)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love student discount (sig)
everybody knows it and they are just denying it i assume because who wouldn't know about all the viruses, worms etc :D :cool:

you cannot remove IE
you cannot remove WMP
you cannot remove most of the other things either and thats to stop competition, and its also 2gb (or more) for an install.. 98 can be 100mb (and 7 with litepc) :) why the big difference!? its bloat... to make it look like theres more stuff

Microsoft is too damned busy working on pirating and new software features to figure out that these "features" are f***ing annoying. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Microsoft Innovations

Installation of new software requires a reboot

System recovery requires an OS re-install

Insecurity by design

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Allthough I don't hate Microsoft as much as most guys here do, there are a few things about MS software on Mac:

- first thing I did after I started my mac for the first time, was removing Internet Explorer... it's vulnerability just simply sucks!! (on Mac as well as on Windows)

- I use Proteus for my MSN and ICQ accounts, allthough the last MSN messenger update did some improvements. ICQ (allthough not MS) on Mac looks like it is older than the last Ice Age! It sucks...

- I don't need MS Office, because I can open, edit and export .doc files in TextEdit. But I miss a nice .ppt/.pps viewer for Mac OS X... anybody has one? ;-)

Apple software (Quicktime, iTunes) on Windows works exactly like on Mac OS. MS software on Mac does NOT work like on Windows, it lacks most features (except maybe Office, it has most features of the Win version)

It's like putting some Volkswagen rims on a Porsche... it might fit, but looks like **** and drives like **** ;-)

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
hype.it: You have to be kidding me. It was APPLE who stole Xerox's GUI. Steve Jobs even admited it by quoting Piccaso: "Good artists create. Great artists steal."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I believe that's true, though I guess they both kinda borrowed the idea in the end. And present day xp is very interesting from a guy who saw no practical end user advantage to a GUI and 640K RAM is plenty for anyone!

OP
hype.it
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
hype.it: You have to be kidding me. It was APPLE who stole Xerox's GUI. Steve Jobs even admited it by quoting Piccaso: "Good artists create. Great artists steal."

Hmm... the GUI thing isn't a primary issue, that's yesterday's news. Now we have GUI not only on hardware systems but on websites, car audio systems, satellite navigation, television and one-day the house hold fridge/freezer! Now... who stole from who?

*Download more mp3's, rip a few game, record a couple of movies using the Tapeless DV Cam from the local cinema*

Who cares? Really? Apart from the RIAA, even then; that's American Only.
It's a Dog eat dog world out there! Everyone's stealing from everyone else... out goes the copyright... never really existed in China!

I believe that's true, though I guess they both kinda borrowed the idea in the end. And present day xp is very interesting from a guy who saw no practical end user advantage to a GUI and 640K RAM is plenty for anyone!

In the 1970's that statement might of been true. But we're in the 20th century now and 8192 is barely enough to load windows 3.0 never mind anything else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
The GUI story is really old and cleared since ages. It is a known fact that Xerox invented it, and Apple was the first to introduce it to the "masses". And it has always been copied since...

You don't have copyright troubles in China?? You lucky guys! Unfortunately, it is not only American, but becomes more and more European too, as our politicians like a lot copying american laws, even the most stupid ones... they should be copyrighted too ;-)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Very true that the GUI story is way to old to be an issue now... And the copyright freedom in China really impresses me! Wonder what the traffic laws are like!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.