Fan running at 4000 rpm. Used to run at 2000

Reaction score
I just recently installed some updates. SEcurity one, airport extreme and some others. My fans are now running at 4000 rpm minimum when they used to run at 2000 rpm minimum. I have used SMC Fan Control. But I restarted and the fans are still running at 4000. I can't change the minimum on SMC to go below 4000. Can anyone tell me what to do? I imagine it's not good to have the fans running at 4000 rpm all the time. Also i just created a regular user account so I could use that instead of the admin account.

*EDIT* OKay I logged into my admin account and it dropped speed to 2000 rpm. I logged back into user account and it was still 2000. But as soon as I started SMC up it went to 4000. So basically SMC will only let me set minimum fan speed to 2000 on admin account. I like to bump up the speed to 4000 when using my webcam so it doesn't get hot and spike up to like 5000.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Install SMC fan control in the user's home directory. Set the fan control from there to 4000. Make sure to hit save at the bottom if the SMC control panel after setting the preferences. Also, go to system preferences and the user accounts. Click the login options for each user and be sure to add the smcfancontrol app to each one (user and admin). When you source the items to add to the user login preferences, make sure you select the seperate installations of smc for each different user.
-Dave

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks. I just installed SMC in my regular users home directory. I didn't have to mess with any login options.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.