New MBP 2 weeks old, loving it. Few Q's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz, 160 GB at 7200rpms 4GB ram...iPhone 3G
Hey,
My MBP is just under 2 weeks old and I love it. It's 2.4GHz santa rosa, 2GB, ram, 15" LED, 256MB graphics, 160GB at 7200rpms HD, speeding fast. Average startup times are 22-25 seconds. I'm slightly new to the OS X environment, even thought i've used it at school it's amazing how much I still need to learn.

I have a few questions.

1. My 160GB Harddrive has 119 GB left, and I havnt really filled it out yet. The only major applications I have that i can see are 4 GB of Final Cut Studio ( just the first CD) and my movies folder is 4GB aswell. Other than those 2 I have the normal applications like Msn, Firefox, smc Fan control, and azerus. Those are pretty much all the programs i've downloaded thus far.

How big is mac OS X and all of it's applications, because i feel i should not be at 119GB already. I think when the comp came it has 148GB or somthing like that. Is there a way to see all the programs an how much space they're taking up. Like I know you can go to each folder and individually click and get the info on the folder but it there another broader way?

2. Another thing. Is there an Equivalent to "control alt delete". I'm not talking about shutting down windows, because thats what force quit does. But like In the "cntrl alt dlt" window there was a tab where you can monitor how much ram each program is using at one time, and it's performance?

I might have a few other question that i'll add to the list but that's for now

-Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
1. Check out this program called Disk Inventory X: http://www.derlien.com/

2. There is a program in the Utilities folder (look in applications) called Activity Monitor, it will show you everything you want to know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!
There is some shareware that shows you exactly how much memory is allocated to what and so on... can't seem to remember what it's called, hopefully someone else can!

As far as monitoring performance... if you go to Utilities you'll see something called "Activity Monitor." That will show you everything windows task manager does, and then some!

EDIT: Behhhh... looks like PunkRock beat me to it!

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks guys for the quick replies

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks guys that Disk inventory was exactly what I was looking for. Another thing that has t do with memory. I have 2GB now I'm slightly confused because it's divided up into 4 different kinds. Free ( I understand) now what do the there 3 mean. Wired, Active, Inactive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
Thanks guys that Disk inventory was exactly what I was looking for. Another thing that has t do with memory. I have 2GB now I'm slightly confused because it's divided up into 4 different kinds. Free ( I understand) now what do the there 3 mean. Wired, Active, Inactive?

Wired is the total RAM available to the system.

Active is the RAM that is been used currently.

Free is how much RAM you have free for new applications/processes.

Inactive is data that is being stored from applications that are running, but isn't currently being used, or from applications you've just closed. It means that should you re-open that app, or repeat an activity in an application that's already open it doesn't have to read the data from the disk again; it's already there. If there isn't enough free memory for what you want to do, then it will clean out some of the data from the inactive portion. It's all part of pre-emptive multitasking, and speeding things up... but you can just think of it as free memory just the same. (I hope I've explained that right).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" 2.0GHz C2D iMac, 2.5GB RAM || 2GHz C2D Macbook White, 2GB RAM || PowerMac G4 533MHz, 1GB RAM
A 160GB HDD is actually closer to about 150GB after formatting, so that should account for around 10 gigs of your missing space. Then add a few gigs for OSX and applications.

I'd use Disk Inventory X as PunkRockTuba said if you can't find the rest, but I think a portion of your missing may be taken up in your library from FCP's extra files. I know you said you accounted for 4 gig of space for FCP already, but I remember hearing it takes up a lot in the library. I could be wrong, but hopefully I've at least helped you out a bit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz, 160 gig HDD @ 5400, 2 gig RAM, nVIDIA 8600
does your MBP get pretty **** hot right above the "F" keys?

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
YES! That metal bar above the "F" keys gets so hot, lik enow the comp is at 54 C (130 F) and all i'm running is firefox, msn, itunes. But Above the F keys is where the CPU and GPU are located and thats what generates the most heat. I also have an incase clear cover on my computer so the outter casing doesn't feel hot, but i know it is.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My set-up is under 2 weeks old. My room was entirely redone. Here's a quick look, even thought it's already in the set-up thread .. :)

My Room

scaled.php

now the details

scaled.php

Set-up..

- Macbook Pro 2.4GHz, 2 GB ram, 160GB HD at 7200rpms, 256MB Nvidia 8600GT, 15.4 inch LED matte screen.

- 19 inch Acer widescreen

-320GB external Hard Drive

- Ipod shuffle ( i use)

-Ipod nano ( got for free, don't use)

-Wireless keyboard

-Wireless mighty mouse

- External DVD burner

Thats pretty much it. I love it!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.