Installing OSX on a New macbook hard Drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2.6 C2D, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD
I bought my mac book last year and it only had a 60gb hard drive. I bought a new 160gig hard drive. I installed in the mac book just fine, but when I try to install OSX it's not showing up as a drive able to install. Must I do anything to the hard drive before I can install OSX?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
You probably have to format it so the mac can read it. I cant remember off the top of my head the right system, but im sure somebody will chime in and tell us both.

Put the cd in the drive and hold C to boot from it and I think there is a utility drop down so you can get in disk utility. Once you find that hopefully you can format from there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
PunkRock is right, you have to format the drive to the HFS format (be sure to choose Journaled). Then setup will let you pick the drive to install on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
In the Utility dropdown select erase and target the new HDD. Select HFS+ and check the box for OS 9 drivers if you need them. It takes a few seconds and then the drive will be ready to install OS X from the installation DVD.
-Dave

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.