How do you use an external HD with the MacBook Pro lid closed?

Reaction score
I recently purchased an external hard drive to use with my MacBook Pro using a FireWire 800 port. However, when I use my laptop with an external monitor and close the lid, the hd deactivates and is no longer available. Is there anyway to get it to work in this scenario? Thanks in advance!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
But the MBP is still running?? That is odd! I run an external drive like that all the time, thought I use a USB connection.

Since you recently purchased, call 1-800-my-apple for support and they can figure out what's going on.

Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Try going to System Preferences and then Energy Saver. Uncheck the box that says put system to sleep when lid is closed. Uncheck put hard disks to sleep whenever possible.
-Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.6Ghz | 200GB 7200 | 4GB Ram | 32GB iPod Touch 2G
You never mentioned what external hard drive you purchased, but the Western Digital Mybook series have an auto sleep function. When you put the computer to sleep the hard drive realises this and puts itself to sleep also, its a good feature and works well because you can just shut the lid of the laptop and walk away, and the hard drive won't cause the Mac to try and wake up again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.