i might switch if....

C

cplayo

can somebody please give me HONEST information about the battery life of a 15 inch powerbook at 1.5 ghz with 1024 gb of ram. i will be a college freshman next year and the battery life of my notebook is pertinent to my choice of a laptop for school. i really want to make the switch if the battery life is right, i would much rather have a mac then a centrino based notebook. please give honest information, this is very important. thanks! -chris

OP
M

MoltenLava

Here are the typical usage that I get from my laptops. YMMV

- 12" iBook G4 800MHz : 4 to 4.5 hours
- 15" Powerbook G4 1.5GHz : 2.5 to 3 hours
- Sony Z1 Centrino Mobile Pentium 1.3GHz : 3 to 3.5 hours
- Sony Z505 Pentium II 500MHz : 2-3 hours

My primary laptop was Sony Z1. My wife's primary laptop was Sony Z505. My wife switched to the Powerbook last week. I'm deciding whether to keep Z1 or switch to iBook. I might end up keeping both. ;)

Once you go Mac, it's hard to go back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
Apple gives 6 hours or so some bogus number.
Realistically, you'll AVERAGE 3 hours. Sometimes you'll go longer, sometimes shorter. However, do NOT stick with the default configuration in the "Energy settings" dialog, if you want maximum battery life. With a little tweaking, I got my 12" Powerbook's average battery life up to 4 hours.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
You see the specs on my left

When I use this for class I set it with No airport, sound and lower the brightness and i get well over 4 hours

With just regular usage with sound airport and regular brightness I get around 3 hours

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
hmm... must try that!

OP
S

StevieA

I've got a new 17" 1.5GHz Powerbook and a Sony Vaio, both have the same battery life in practical use (approx 3 hours)

Steve

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.