• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple Upgrade Airport Extreme with Gigabit Ethernet

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4 GHz C2D 160 GB HDD 2 GB RAM
Thats good to hear. I ordered online on August 2 and its supposed to ship either today or tomorrow so hopefully they sent the new model.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Awesome, that was a much-needed improvement. One more port and a web-interface, and I'll have my order in promptly ;)

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Why do you need a web interface when you have the Airport Utility? That's way better than a web panel.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Why do you need a web interface when you have the Airport Utility? That's way better than a web panel.

I prefer the web interface, because I'm talking directly to the device, I can connect to it from any machine on the network or even across the Internet if I need to. I'm one of those people that doesn't like to use the installation CDs that sometimes come with network gear. I know what I'm doing and sort of feel like the software package over-simplifies a fairly complex device.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook 2.0GHz, Airport Extreme, 3G iPod Nano
I prefer the web interface, because I'm talking directly to the device, I can connect to it from any machine on the network or even across the Internet if I need to. I'm one of those people that doesn't like to use the installation CDs that sometimes come with network gear. I know what I'm doing and sort of feel like the software package over-simplifies a fairly complex device.

I agree 100% (although I did buy it back in February b/c of the NAS and print server capabilities).

What is the advantage of gigabit ethernet?
i.e. is it something that can actually make a difference on a home network? Or is more of a theoretical thing such as SATA v. SATA II?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Trust me, if all your machines support Gigabit Ethernet and you copy large files between the machines, it makes a LARGE difference. Cuts copy time here in half. I have done some timed tests with 100Base-T and 1000Base-T. This is between machines and has nothing to do with Internet speed, just so no one will take this wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook 2.0GHz, Airport Extreme, 3G iPod Nano
Trust me, if all your machines support Gigabit Ethernet and you copy large files between the machines, it makes a LARGE difference. Cuts copy time here in half. I have done some timed tests with 100Base-T and 1000Base-T. This is between machines and has nothing to do with Internet speed, just so no one will take this wrong.

so this isn't just a firmware upgrade, correct?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 1.25Gb Ram WiFi'd To Airport Extreme!
this sucks i bought my extreme 3 weeks ago

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4 GHz C2D 160 GB HDD 2 GB RAM
I got an email from Apple saying they upgraded me to the new version for no charge.

"Apple is pleased to announce the new AirPort Extreme Base Station.

We have upgraded your recent order to the new AirPort Extreme Base Station at
no additional charge.

For up-to-date information on your order, please visit our online order status
site at <http://www.apple.com/orderstatus>.

Thank you for choosing Apple."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Core Duo, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Samsung 19" Monitor, 250 GB WD My Book, 16 GB iPod Touch
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but what all is needed to set up the airport extreme. I want to set one up in my dorm room come school time, but it would be useless if I had to have my laptop connected to it all the time anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
Airport extreme is just the name of the base station. It functions like any other wireless router. No need to have your computer hooked up to it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.