Choosing partitions sizes for an OS X/XP/Vista MBP

Reaction score
I just got my MBP and will be using boot camp to install both XP pro and Vista Ultimate. My question is how I should divide up my 120 GB hard drive. I'm an incoming college freshman and I plan to use this system for the next 4 years.

I will most likely be using OS X for most of my computing (internet, music, word processing, etc.) and will probably only use windows for games and other programs that aren't mac compatible. Thus, I'm thinking that I should give OS X the lions share of the hard drive, but I'm not sure how to split between XP and Vista.

Advice is most appreciated.

Reaction score
Just keep in mind OS X can read your Windows partition, but Windows cannot read your OS X partition. I mention this because you could potentially make your Windows partition larger and store a lot of your documents and such there so they're accessible from both OSes, versus keeping them COMPLETELY separate. I don't know your particular needs, but I believe this config would be more flexible.

Just my two cents.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro | Ipod - 5G 60G, and 4G Nano
i need some help in the same catagory
i partitioned 5G to xp and now that ii think about it i would like alittle more, like 10 or so maby, is there any way to change the partition?
give xp some more?
Thanks!

OP
T
Reaction score
I didn't know that OS X could read the windows partitions. I thought they were completely separate. Can OS X write to the windows partition?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
OS X can write and read to fat32, but OS X can only read NTFS

OP
T
Reaction score
And will the windows partitions be NTFS or FAT32?

Also, will my XP install be able to access files on the Vista partition and vice versa?

Reaction score
Wow. I didn't know OS X couldn't write NTFS. That sucks.

Nevermind my previous post...

:/

OP
T
Reaction score
Ok, a little more research shows that you can choose either FAT32 or NTFS as long as the partition is less than 32 GB. Also, Vista apparently only works on NTFS.

My current plan is to install XP on a 32 GB FAT32 partition and Vista on a minimum-sized NTFS partition. I will save all of my Vista stuff on the XP partition, so I can access as much as possible from OS X. Will this work?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.