Apple Care

Reaction score
I just bought my macbook. I opted not to purchase apple care on the spot. I have 90 days to buy it, and I wanted to check this forum to ask the experts of all things apple.

So, is apple care worth it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
You have a whole year to buy it but you only get 90 days free phone support. Yes, I would suggest buying it if it's a Macbook. It's a portable and more prone to get hurt. :)

BTW, try a search on this topic. There are a ton of threads.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
Yes it's worth it, it saved me about $3,400 in repairs and got me a $3,000 MacBook Pro for free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
You betcha. Hard drives fail, screen backlights prematurely fizzle out, keys pop, trackpads delaminate, mag-safe connectors melt, iSights quit working, batteries break down. These are just a few potentials that could occurr that doesn't fall under the 'accidental damage' (which AC doesn't cover) that if you did not have Apple Care and were out of warrantee, could leave you hurting.

Plus laptops go places. Some of them more hostile than others. AppleCare isn't like your garden variety warrantee that the Best Buys and Circuit City salesmen try to push on you whenever you buy a stereo or something. When you spring for the AC if something goes wrong, you need to have it fixed (like my groovy CD drive) and need to tell Apple to jump, they'll ask how high and fix it.

OP
trayns
Reaction score
ok, ill get it

and just to double check - installing 2GB on my own will not terminate the apple care warranty.

i know this has been talked about several times, i just want to make sure.

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok, ill get it

and just to double check - installing 2GB on my own will not terminate the apple care warranty.

i know this has been talked about several times, i just want to make sure.

thanks

Correct, RAM is a DIY upgrade that does not void the warranty.

Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the forums here. I purchased Applecare with my macbook. Do I need to do anything to activate it? Or is it automatically started?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey guys, new to the forums here. I purchased Applecare with my macbook. Do I need to do anything to activate it? Or is it automatically started?

Welcome to the forums! You need to go to the apple support site:

http://www.apple.com/support/

and towards the bottom right there is a little section called AppleCare, click "Register and View AppleCare Agreements" it will take you through the rest.

Reaction score
well i bought it with the macbook, so i dont have the box. Where would i find theregistration number?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well i bought it with the macbook, so i dont have the box. Where would i find theregistration number?

If you ordered the macbook online then you have been auto enrolled, if you want to check go to the apple support site. On the right under AppleCare click "Register and View AppleCare Agreements" you'll have to sign in with your apple id. Then on the screen that comes up, it should give a bunch of register links and under all of those it will say, "Your Current Agreements" and it should say something along the lines of, "APP - MACBOOK" then give an agreement #.

If you have all of that then you are already enrolled in applecare, if none of that is there you need to call apple and figure out what's happening. You might also want to call anyways just to make sure you were enrolled when you purchased the macbook.

OP
trayns
Reaction score
hey, way off topic,

but i just got my macbook, and i was wondering how to get the annoying macintosh HD icon off of the desktop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hey, way off topic,

but i just got my macbook, and i was wondering how to get the annoying macintosh HD icon off of the desktop

Try Finder menu > Preferences, go to the General tab, uncheck Show these items on the Desktop: Hard disks.

Reaction score
Hey, I see guys on eBay selling Apple Care registration cards for $100 - 150!!

Anyone have any experience with this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey, I see guys on eBay selling Apple Care registration cards for $100 - 150!!

Anyone have any experience with this?

Personally I wouldn't do it, I would rather pay full price for it at the apple store knowing im getting a legit copy. For all you know, they wrote the # and already used it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 15-inch, 2.2GHz 2gb RAM 15-inch Widescreen
Personally I wouldn't do it, I would rather pay full price for it at the apple store knowing im getting a legit copy. For all you know, they wrote the # and already used it.

yeah, definately not. don't buy off of ebay. if your going to get cheap applecare...do it somewhere else, but the apple store is the best to get it at.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
Reaction score
Just had a telephone call from Apple UK reminding me that my warranty runs out this month (and wanting to sell me the 2 Year extension).

I mentioned that they were being sold for £80 (exc P&P) less on Ebay, and were they legal? Neither he nor his manager were aware of this, so I suggested they check it out and get back to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2gb Memory, 80gb HDD, Leopard / Pink iPod Nano
I haven't received my macbook yet (tomorrow!!!) but I knew I had to buy Apple Care because my old laptop (a gateway) had a 3 year protection plan that goes up in october and I have already had to replace 2 things on it this year and I do not want to imagine how much those things would have cost without a protection plan. yuck. I think Apple Care is always worth it! :Smirk:

Reaction score
Guy at Apple UK rang me back yesterday.

He said that there was a checking mechanism to ensure that the registration number of the Applecare warranty matched the appropriate MacBook etc. Therefore, there could be a problem in the event of a claim.

Anybody here actually made a successful claim using an Applecare Warrranty purchased on Ebay?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53Ghz Macbook Pro
Newbie question...I bought an open-box Macbook (display model I think). It was being cleared-out for the 2.16Ghz Macbook models since the 2.0Ghz is discontinued. Am I still eligible for an Apple Care warranty if purchased?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.