iMac with Leopard or Tiger?

Reaction score
I will be buying a new iMac soon, but I'm not sure if I should wait for Leopard. I currently run Tiger on a Macbook. Will the restore discs with the iMac load Leopard on my Macbook (if I wait for Leopard's release)? Will the Migration Assistant work between Tiger and Leopard to load the Macbook data to the iMac? I would like to have the same OS on each machine. If I buy the iMac now and buy Leopard later, can I load it on both systems or do I need to buy a multiple user package to do that. Thanks for any replies...:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro. 2.3Ghz Intel Core i7 running OSX 10.14.6, 16GB Ram
I would guess that you'd need a multiple user package yes. And as far as I know, data transfer between macs should be fine. Was it ok between OSX 10.3 and 10.4? I think it was. It's not a whole new OS, just an upgrade, so all should be pretty smooth

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I will be buying a new iMac soon, but I'm not sure if I should wait for Leopard.
There is no reason to wait.
I currently run Tiger on a Macbook. Will the restore discs with the iMac load Leopard on my Macbook (if I wait for Leopard's release)?
No.
Will the Migration Assistant work between Tiger and Leopard to load the Macbook data to the iMac?
Yes.
I would like to have the same OS on each machine. If I buy the iMac now and buy Leopard later, can I load it on both systems
No, not according to the EULA.
or do I need to buy a multiple user package to do that.
Yes, that is what you will need to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
Apple do a 5 user "household" license for not a lot more than a single user license, so there's really no reason not to go for that. I suppose it's Apple's way of getting people to go the legal route; if it's only a little extra to install it on 5 computers legally then why not?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
AMD 533 MHz, 312 mb RAM, 80 HDD. :(
Indeed,

So when I buy my new iMac before October, I could share Leopard license with my brother in law

In my eyes that's household ;)

(the word says law! :p don't suggest its illegal then!)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.