Just Got Home!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
I'm glad everything is going well, Joe Diver!! :D

Reaction score
Maths Lesson: :p

Mac + Owner = Undescribably happy

Mac + Windows + BootCamp/Parallels = Mac + PC

PC = old news

SUMMARY
---------

Outcome: SELL PC! :p

You see:
--------

Mac = Mac *AND* PC

PC = just PC, so ditch the whizzing, whirring old tin box...

I will say this: I'm having a blast with the new iMac!

Ohh ooooh!! can you tell all us nice guys about how the new slim KB feels??.

OP
Joe Diver
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.4 C2D, 2Gb, 320Gb HD, 500GB External OWC FW800, 17" MBP, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb, 500Gb HD, iPhone.
Oh yeah...Parallels...I'll get to that and it should solve my 360 issue.

I like the slim keyboard so far. It's very solid....a slab of aluminum with keys that feel adequate. It's different from the traditional keyboard in regard to the feel of the keys, but they do have enough bounce to provide a decent tactile feel. Time will tell.

I don't like having 2 keyboards and 2 mice on my desk. I use a KVM to manage my systems and I may need to look at that solution.

Reaction score
Oh yeah...Parallels...I'll get to that and it should solve my 360 issue.

I like the slim keyboard so far. It's very solid....a slab of aluminum with keys that feel adequate. It's different from the traditional keyboard in regard to the feel of the keys, but they do have enough bounce to provide a decent tactile feel. Time will tell.

I don't like having 2 keyboards and 2 mice on my desk. I use a KVM to manage my systems and I may need to look at that solution.

Don't have TWO of everything dude, use "Synergy", to share KB and mouse, cross-platform!:

http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PM G4 Dual 867, 1gb, 160gb
Don't have TWO of everything dude, use "Synergy", @:

http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/

I just looked at Synergy, it looks really cool! I'm pretty technical, but I can't figure out how it knows when to switch from one screen to the other. Thanks for showing that; I've never heard of it.

EDIT: To answer my own question. From the site:

"With synergy, all the computers on your desktop form a single virtual screen. You use the mouse and keyboard of only one of the computers while you use all of the monitors on all of the computers. You tell synergy how many screens you have and their positions relative to one another. Synergy then detects when the mouse moves off the edge of a screen and jumps it instantly to the neighboring screen. The keyboard works normally on each screen; input goes to whichever screen has the cursor."

Pretty handy stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12.1" G4 1.33ghz 512RAM 40GB, iPod 2nd Gen 15GB
Heh, I like the beer. Nice touch.

The other day I was cleaning up my office and unearthed the box my Macbook came in. Took one look at it and said "nah, I can't throw that away even though it's unlikely I'll ever need to ship the Mac anywhere; it's just too pretty."

Before I switched to the Mac I had heard of this packaging phenomenon and couldn't believe that people posted pics of unpacking the thing. It's just one of those things you need to get a Mac in order to understand.

lol, I can relate. A few years ago I got one of those 2nd gen ipods. The box was way too sexy to dispose of so I kept it on my bookshelf. To this day i use it to store cash and other 'valuables' =)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4 (tiger) 24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 1Gb Ram, 320Gb Hard Drive, (leopard)
the new iMacs look really sexy,
does anyone know the dimensions of the new 24" iMac, (i.e. the thickness, width and height, including the outer case.)

cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12.1" G4 1.33ghz 512RAM 40GB, iPod 2nd Gen 15GB
Slightly off-topic here, and this is not intended to flame anyone, but I'm curious as to this weird use of the word "dang" by our American friends. Is it somehow meant to soften the impact of the word "d4mn"?. I think the word "d4mn" is a horrible word - more so if you actually know its real meaning. I can only assume that "dang" = "d4mn", and is just a more stupid sounding version, of an already offensive phrase.

It signifies to me, that the user wouldn't wish to say the word "d4mn", and somehow the recipient is supposedly a little less offended by this?!. It means the same thing apparently, and if you find the word "d4mn" offensive enough to have to soften it down with "dang", then hey - don't use EITHER word, kapish?!.

Just my opinion on a stupid sounding word, sorry if, ironically, *I* offend anyone, but this is my opinion dudes.

[EDIT]

I also noticed when writing this post, that the word "d4mn" has been censored out by the forum, as "****", I supposed due to the fact that it *IS* offensive to some people. If this is the case, then why is the word "dang", which means exactly the same thing, allowed to be displayed??. There is NO "softer alternative" - the word is still offensive, and still has the same meaning. Period. I think maybe this could be looked into, as if I said the "F" word repeatedly, I'd probably be kicked off Mac-forums, even though the meaning of the "F" word is, in essence, a natural and physical act that all our parents took part in, in order to produce us, their offspring, whereas the "dang/d4mn" words actually mean "go to h3ll" and are, by definition, a GREAT deal more offensive than the "F" word.

NOT intended to flame or cause bad feeling, but this is a VERY valid point, and I am simply asking this, because I surely have a right to enquire.
dang is a word thats been used all around.. its just slang. its probably the equivalent to heck instead of **** and freaking instead of f'ing. But to answer your question, its not just lingo that mac-forum members use.
In my opinion dang has a nice ring to it, and id suppose thats one of the reasons a lot of people like using it.
Just out of curiosity where are you from?

On another note, I think you have two options, both involving a notebook. Although the new iMac is hard to resist if you have the money, I would still go with the notebook because whats a soul to do when he needs to travel? Also, It's just as enjoyable to be able to walk around while browsing the web as it is using a 24" screen.
If you do end up purchasing the grand new iMac, I'd suggest also getting a very cheap (only in price, obviously) used clamshell ibook (or g3 if money allows) so that you will have an option when you need to travel.
Get back to me, I'm interested in hearing your decision!

the new iMacs look really sexy,
does anyone know the dimensions of the new 24" iMac, (i.e. the thickness, width and height, including the outer case.)

cheers
From the look of it at the mac store it seemed the thickness was about 2.5", very appealing to the eye considering two things; the size of the screen and the fact that the whole computer is stored in there =]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
sweeeeet !!! nice pics. post more :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Unibody MBP, 2.8ghz, 500gig, 4gig
yea man just post some more pics and dont forget to include beer:)

OP
Joe Diver
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.4 C2D, 2Gb, 320Gb HD, 500GB External OWC FW800, 17" MBP, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb, 500Gb HD, iPhone.
Okay, got out a tape measure for you:

18" high not including stand
20.5" high with stand.
22.5" wide
2.25" thick, near as I can tell.
28" diagonally, with chin.

Still working on setup, but I'm almost done....well, it is a never ending process though so it'll always be a work in progress:

mac7.jpg

It's really thin for such a large computer:

mac8.jpg

I know I need to clean up cables...that's coming:

mac9.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac--OSX 10.6.7
Good grief, move the HP out of there! That iMac is looking so fine--I can hardly wait to get one. Next summer, hopefully!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Aw, that's beautiful! You gotta get ClearDock. That filmy dock detracts to the overall look on the gorgeous big screen!

I like your choice in Terminal colors.

Reaction score
I just sold my HP Pavilion, which I bought 2 months back, as a VERY cheap (£229) stop-gap, between Macs. I added 1Gb ram for £25, and sold it last week for £230. Only lost £25 on that one, but I was SO SO SO glad to see the back of Vista - I just needed SOMEthing to get me by, because I didn't want a Mac Mini. I was hoping for a SchmackBook Pro, but now I have seen the light of day (which is a MODEST budget) and if it were not for a bloke at the local Apple reseller telling me about the Apple event announcement, I'd probably be none the wiser yet.

NOONE can deny the facts: getting a *SILENT* Mac with C2D, 1Gb ram, OS X, iLife '08, 250Gb hdd, a TWENTY INCH TFT (!!!) firewire 400/800, DVD-RW, bluetooth, wifi, lan *AND IT'S A FLIPPIN MAC FOR GOODNESS SAKE, +++ANDDD+++ YOU CAN RUN SHWINDOWZ ON IT*, for £799.... is a BARAIN!!!!! (ohh, and it is built like a brick sh*thouse, as we say in the UK ;))

Let's see the PeeCee world beat THEM Apples lol.

iMac - it looks like YOU are coming home with me, soon! :D

{PS}

He is right - lose the HP ;) - cable ugliness!!.

I'm off on an 80 mile train journey today, to the Apple store in London, to play with one of these - I'm THAT impressed/tempted!!

{{ PPS - is it as quiet as the older gen iMacs?? }}

Thanks dude.

OP
Joe Diver
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I like your choice in Terminal colors.

I run all my shells like that....dates back to the old days of CICS in IBM mainframes....just what I'm used to.

This new iMac is completely silent. I put my ear right up to it....nothing.....

I'm working on getting rid of the HP.....getting closer.

OP
Joe Diver
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66 Ghz 12 core Mac Pro (5.1 flash) High sierra
Looks great. Welcome! (I'm new here too! :D )

The new iMac looks fantastic in a real-workd setting. I urge everyone who gets one to post pics of their desks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.