• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Do International DVDs Work on a Macbook???

Reaction score
Hello. I was hoping someone might be able to help me. I have a macbook (obviously) from the US but currently live in Europe. I play my American DVDs on here but would also like to play European DVDs. Is this possible? I know that they are 2 different codes but i was hoping that there might be a special download or code to make it so i can play both types of DVDs. I dont want to try because I dont want to screw anything up. If anyone knows anything about this type of thing it would be wonderful if you could help me out.
thnx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD
There is usually a limited number of times you can change a "region code" on a dvd-rom/dvd burner. I never believed in region coded dvds, if anything it makes ppl pirate more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
You can change the region coding, but you can only do it a set number of times (about 5) before it sets itself permanently, and you'll need to re-flash the firmware to be able to change it again. It's free, but can be tricky and dangerous if you don't know what you're doing.

The easiest and most convenient (although expensive) way, if you're going to have a large library of DVDs from both regions is to buy a second DVD drive. You can get them for about £40 (and probably less), but you'll have to use VLC to play the DVDs (Apple DVD Player only supports built-in DVD drives).

There is usually a limited number of times you can change a "region code" on a dvd-rom/dvd burner. I never believed in region coded dvds, if anything it makes ppl pirate more.

I couldn't agree more. You can pay for something and have it restricted, or not pay for something and have no restrictions on it... where's the incentive to pay? I don't blame the people that take part in piracy one bit... they must be laughing at the rest of us. I think the content providers have no-one to blame but themselves for piracy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.