• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Wirelessly Transmitting video

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D Macbook Pro
I've got it all set up. My macbook pro, a 42" HDTV, a massive 1 TB external harddrive hooked up to my airport extreme base station, and an airport express along with the program airfoil to play itunes and any other program's audio wirelessly. I'm only missing one thing.... I have to hook up my macbook pro to the HDTV using s-video.

My question is, is it possible to transmit video from my macbook pro to a tv? Essential connect my macbook pro and HDTV wirelessly so that the tv comes up as a second monitor that I can pull windows onto. I dont want to have to plug anything into my macbook pro, I'd like it to be a piece of hardware connected to the tv that goes through my airport extreme base station and is connected to my laptop via software. Anyone have any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
Apple TV and N wireless.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D Macbook Pro
So if I convert all my files to mp4 with a surround sound codec and put them in itunes, will apple tv be able to play them with 5.1 surround sound through the optical audio port?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
I think...and I only think...someone else will have to verify, but I think apple tv requires h.264 encoding, which is still mp4...just smaller file size at better quality...I could be wrong though...as far as surround sound, i'm afraid I don't kno w about that one. Sorry.

Brian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.