Problems mounting my ext3 partition

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB @5200 rpm Hard Drive, OS X 10.5
I have tried the usual approach to this and it gives me errors.

e.g. When i type

#sudo -s
#mount -t ext3 /dev/disk0s5 /Volumes

I get no such file errors.

Does anyone know how to mount an ext3 partition?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i'm using that already... that is why i thought the errors were odd. I even tried to mount it as a ext2 format, and still no dice.

ok, i got the latest version, an restarted, and it auto-mounted them. Now my problem is that i need to be able to read and write it. is there a command that will allow me to do so??

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Check the permission of the folder you are trying to write too.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Check the permission of the folder you are trying to write too.

I boot into Ubuntu Linux, and i check the permissions, and low and behold the owner is my user name (not root), and has R&W permission in the folder spot, and 2 dashed lines in the file spot. and the same thing for the groups section and the others section. So i'm guessing that permissions are not an issue... i could be wrong, but the permissions aren't restricted from the linux side...

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I don't understand what you have said. So to make it more clear. Here is a line from my system. You see three sets of rs as in rwx, r-x and r-x. The first one is for the owner rman. The second is for the group which happens to be rman and the third is for other or world.

drwxr-xr-x 6 rman rman 204 8 Mar 2006 Sites

d - directory
r - read
w - write
x - execute

So what you see is the the owner rman can read; write and execute anything in to the directory/folder Sites. Any one in the group rman can on only read and excute, Where as remaining can only read and excute also.

You will need to explain more about the folder spot, the file spot and the group spot.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry!

When i navigate (in Ubuntu) to the drive that i would like to mount in OS X, and right-click on it's folder icon, and select permissions at the bottom, I a get a window that shows me info about that partition. I then select the permissions tab in that same window, and i get a section for the owner (which happens to be my user name as well) with a drop-down menu to select its permissions for the folder, and then right below it is another drop-down menu that is labeled "files" and has the "--" option selected. now there are two other sections labeled "Group" and "other" each with the same permissions as the owner... Give me a min, and i can post a screenshot of it. As you can see in the screenshots, i can change the --- but since it is unlimited access for all, then it reverts back to --- when i click close.

Screenshot-1.png

Screenshot.png

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok, i've tried everything under the sun... like reformatting that partition to fat32 and NTFS and it still doesn't mount. I open up disk utility, and select that shared partition, and press the mount button, and nothing happens. I look down at the bottom, and instead of saying file system, it says partition type, and it is "Microsoft reserved" when i format it ntfs or fat32. If I'm not mistaken, OS X is spposed to auto mount these types of partitions. And i cannot format it HFS+ because disk util says that i don't own it...

I REALLY need some help!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.