Old PowerPC G3

Reaction score
Well I started off on Mac's and loved Wolfenstein3D Second Encounter. Well then I moved to PC's and I've been working at a local PC repair company for awhile now and I've been having a craving to play Wolfenstein3D Second Encounter. Which is only for the Mac. I noticed a couple of old iMac's sitting in our warehouse and asked about them and was told I could check them out and take one if I wanted.

So me and a co-worker grabbed them, one had OS 8.6 with 64mb of ram while the other had OS 9.1 with 32 MB of ram.

So we opened them up (first time for both of us) and pulled the extra stick of ram from the 8.6 machine and put it in the 9.1 machine. Now if I open up the Apple System Profiler it only says 32mb of ram. Why would it only be showing the 32mb?

Also it the System Profiler says

Machine ID: 406
Processor info: PowerPC G3
Machine speed: 233MHz

Is there anything I can upgrade in this? Processor for example, to one of the newer ones. Not like one of the Intel ones, just one that shipped in a newer iMac from the same gen.

I'm pretty sure this is the iMac I have
http://lowendmac.com/imacs/imac-b.shtml

and I was thinking of updating it to something from one of these
http://lowendmac.com/imacs/imac-c.shtml
http://lowendmac.com/imacs/imac-d.shtml

Where's a good place to look for these parts?

And is the ram just regular SD SO-DIMM ram? like what's used in old PC laptops?

Sorry for all the questions and noobishness, but we all have to start somewhere.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
Well according to Crucial Memory, which is always right...

Q: What memory goes into my computer, and will a faster speed be backward-compatible?
A: SDRAM memory with support for SDRAM, PC133,SDRAM, PC66 speeds.

OP
G
Reaction score
Well can ignore the whole adding another stick of 32MB for 64. My coworker and I were not paying attention and just switched a 32MB for a 32MB or something. We were in a hurry and not paying attention.

But today at work I got a 128MB SODIMM and installed it in the top slot and its showing 160MB now. But the top slot and bottom slot are not keyed the same. The 32MB stick that was in the bottom will not fit in the top and the 128MB I put in the top will not fit the key mark on the bottom slot.

Why would it be like that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
As it says in the LowEndMac page you posted,

"Top DIMM socket accepts 2" DIMM, bottom socket takes 1.5" DIMM."

Now, as for why it would be like that...I have no idea. I'm sure Apple's engineers had a reason, but I can only guess. (Space in the case? A large lot of odd-sized DIMMs they wanted to get rid off?)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.