i need help about getting a macbook!!!

Reaction score
okay so im about to trade my Dell XPS laptop for a Macbook,core 2 duo,1gb,80gigHD

so heres the thing
im going on a 4 week trip to portugal and i had MSN messenger all set up to talk to people form US to there but idk if Apples are capable of doing so
so i have a fewq questions

-Can i use MSN messenger to talk to windows users?
-How can i access internet in europe?
-is iChat an AIM alternative?
-can i play pc games on macbooks? (counterstrike,halflife,doom)

if someone has a webcam on a computer in US, and i have my macbook(built in webcam obviosuly)...whats the best way, other than MSN Messenger(if even possible) , to talk to someone "face-to-face?"

Thanks guys, if theres answeres get answered, big + reps to whoever and i will be very greatful

:Smirk:
-

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
- Ofcourse
- Depends... you'll find it's not much different from the rest of the world
- Yes
- If you install Windows you have a chance, but the MacBook isn't meant for 3D graphics, so it won't be all that good (same as other "low-end" notebooks)

iChat would be the best way.

OP
J
Reaction score
- Ofcourse
- Depends... you'll find it's not much different from the rest of the world
- Yes
- If you install Windows you have a chance, but the MacBook isn't meant for 3D graphics, so it won't be all that good (same as other "low-end" notebooks)

iChat would be the best way.

-thankss
-does europe use eithernet and 56k modem?
-is macbook rly not meant for 3d graphics? because i thought that pirates of the caribean used Maya 8 on a macbook tomake "Davey jones"
-is iChat webcam capable? and if so, can i "webcam-chat" with someone using AIM? or do they need ichat aswell?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
-thankss
-does europe use eithernet and 56k modem?
-is macbook rly not meant for 3d graphics? because i thought that pirates of the caribean used Maya 8 on a macbook tomake "Davey jones"
-is iChat webcam capable? and if so, can i "webcam-chat" with someone using AIM? or do they need ichat aswell?

-dude what are you talking about? of course europe uses the same stuff as wherever you live.
-it has no graphics card, just integrated Intel graphics, so it will not be as good. you may mean a MacBook Pro, which is alot more powerful and has a graphics card.
-yes. iChat can talk to people who have iChat, AIM, Jabber, and the Leopard version will do Google Talk.

BTW, for MSN, DO NOT USE Microsoft's official Messenger for Mac. It's awful and pretty near featureless. Adium will do MSN and many other services and has the best interface in my opinion. aMSN will do video chat in MSN.

OP
J
Reaction score
-dude what are you talking about? of course europe uses the same stuff as wherever you live.
-it has no graphics card, just integrated Intel graphics, so it will not be as good. you may mean a MacBook Pro, which is alot more powerful and has a graphics card.
-yes. iChat can talk to people who have iChat, AIM, Jabber, and the Leopard version will do Google Talk.

BTW, for MSN, DO NOT USE Microsoft's official Messenger for Mac. It's awful and pretty near featureless. Adium will do MSN and many other services and has the best interface in my opinion. aMSN will do video chat in MSN.

-idk man, europe uses different video output and (obviosuly) AC and DC, i just wasnt sure if they used etherneyt and 56k...okay, so if whereever im staying has 56k or ethernet, how do i get wireless internet onto my laptop? like hwo does airport express work, ik that they make cards but do they intercept signals form wireless routers like linksys?
-okay so now that ik micMSN sucks on macbook, i used adium, which im assuming already has aMSN on it? or is aMSN a different program than Adium?

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
-idk man, europe uses different video output and (obviosuly) AC and DC, i just wasnt sure if they used etherneyt and 56k...okay, so if whereever im staying has 56k or ethernet, how do i get wireless internet onto my laptop? like hwo does airport express work, ik that they make cards but do they intercept signals form wireless routers like linksys?
-okay so now that ik micMSN sucks on macbook, i used adium, which im assuming already has aMSN on it? or is aMSN a different program than Adium?

thanks

- No idea what you just said.
- aMSN is a different program. It supports video, whereas Adium doesn't.

Reaction score
MacBooks have a wireless card built in, so you just need to pick up a wireless signal and connect to it. They pick up the same wireless signals as PCs. It also has an ethernet port, so if you're somewhere where you can plug in, you can get internet that way.

OP
J
Reaction score
MacBooks have a wireless card built in, so you just need to pick up a wireless signal and connect to it. They pick up the same wireless signals as PCs. It also has an ethernet port, so if you're somewhere where you can plug in, you can get internet that way.

thanks man, good info

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.