Labels instead of folders

Reaction score
Hello All,

If there is a post on this somewhere that I've missed, please link me to it, I have been unable to find anything on this site about this issue.

I have two questions.

1) Is there any way to make labels instead of folders in order to categorize all my documents and other work?

2) If the answer to 1 is no, does anyone know of 3rd party software that will do this.

I like labels much better than folders because often I have one document that could be filed in a number of different folders but I can only keep it in one place. I am a rather proficient unix/linux user, so I know about symbolic linking, etc. But I was hoping there was something out there that would do it in a more elegant manner. If anyone has used GMail, you will know exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
You get only the seven labels that show up in the File menu (but you can rename them and change the colors.)

You could probably accomplish what you want with the Spotlight Comments field, and Smart Folders.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.