Internet doesn't work in OS X, but it does in OS 9

N

Nightblade

Yeah, that's right. My modem's on, my router's on, all wires seem to be plugged in, and I'm on the internet right now! But when I boot into OS X, the internet doesn't work at all! Isn't that the strangest thing? I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that I've actually recently been switching back and forth between OS 9 and OS X, so I can use a particular carbonized program in which the OS 9 version is the only one that actually works properly. But then again, that's probably not the reason...Because the exact same thing is happening on my other computer! I mean, that computer is normally in OS 9 anyway, but I wanted to see if the internet worked on OS X on that computer, and it didn't! Not only that, but at my father's place, on his G3 iBook, the internet doesn't work either (He uses OS X, but I didn't get a chance to boot into OS 9 and try the internet there). And he lives all the way downtown! However, we do both have the same Internet Service Provider, Bell Sympatico (if anyone else here lives in Canada they may have heard of it too). We also use the same type of modem (it's external, and provided by Bell, I believe). But this whole thing is definitely a problem, and it's possible that the fact that my father's internet isn't working either is not a coincidence. This is could be very serious, and of course, if the only people who are able to reply to this message are using OS 9, then it could be an Apple problem!

And yes, I'm using OS 9 now, obviously. And I first noticed the internet didn't work on OS X about last night at 2:30 A.M., when I came out of OS 9 to go to OS X.

Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts on this?

UPDATE UPDATE!!! Apparently, the internet is now working at my father's place. However, it's still not working for me on OS X :(

OP
N

Nightblade

Please, I haven't gotten a response to this message yet. I don't mean to double post, but if anyone has ANY suggestions, I'd be willing to hear them. Please, this is a serious problem! I'm sorry to be annoying but I'd really like the internet on OS X!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I don't have a real answer to your problems.

The problem I have with my system is that when I first power it on with the network connected I don't see the network. After about five minutes or so I finally connect to the network. I have been experiencing this problem since OS X 10.2.3 to present. If the system goes to sleep, upon wake up I loose the connection, again I have to wait for a short period of time before it reconnects.

Like you I have looked for help, but was unable to find a solution. I have learned to live with the problem. In your case you need a solution.

How long have you waited for your system to make a connection? Also I am assuming that you have DHCP turned on in OS X.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I was reading some where that the combo update resolves some network problems. What version of the OS are you running?

OP
N

Nightblade

I'm running OS 10.3.4. As for my internet connection, I never normally have to connect when I turn on the system, since I have my modem on all the time and it's hooked up to a router. I also have high-speed internet service, using an ethernet cord.

Oh yeah, another thing I could mention is that the internet doesn't work in Classic environment in OS X. It only works in the real thing, the actual operating system 9.

OP
N

Nightblade

I GOT IT BACK!!!!! :D :D

You know how? My father came up here, and after tinkering with it a lot and nothing happening, he finally decided to do something quite simple (although I never even heard of being able to do it). He reset the modem, and just to be safe, the router as well. And, it worked! My internet is back on both operating systems, and I'm now typing this on OS X!

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Good to hear. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.