Advice Please - Portable alternative to iBook

Reaction score
Hi people

I currently own 2 Macs (iBook G4 and MacMini G4), but I will soon be traveling around Europe for 2 months. My iBook as great as it is, is too heavy for me to take with me in my backpack, so I was hoping for some fellow mac people to give me some advice.

(Don't flame me for this...) but I don't care so much what OS the device runs, I care more for what it can do in this case (normally choice of OS is a primary aspect for me).

I am after something not too heavy (2kg or so max), not too expensive (only want to spend maybe $600US or so), and preferably not too bulky (but this bit isnt as vital).

My main uses will be to use it for internet usage (via WiFi preferably, and for web/email and hopefully IM too), editing photos, and if i can use it to play videos too that'd be a bonus (but not necessary as my iPod Video does a good job if hooked up to a TV anyhow!)

I have been contemplating everything from Symbian/Blackberry phones to iPhone to UMPC (which are mostly way too expensive) to notebook/laptops (Mac and PC).

Any advice which can be offered would be highly appreciated!

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Early 2008) 2.4GHz 4GB RAM running 10.5.4
I think Asus have something small and cheap (you might want to Google that up).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.