Max RAM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz Macbook Pro, 2GB RAM, OSX v10.5
Hi All,

Quick question: Am I understanding correctly that all Core 2 Duo MBP's have a maximum supported RAM amount of 4GB?

So if I bought any of the current refurb models (seem to range from 2GHz up to 2.4GHz depending on the day) I could upgrade them to 4 easily?

Is there anything I should be on the lookout for?

Thanks!

J

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature...
2.2ghz up to 2.4ghz
yes, the three mdels can reach up to 4gb of ram.

i hope this help

Picture 1.png

OP
spilio
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow. Thanks for that chart. Did you whip that up yourself, or am I completely blind?

J

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Wow. Thanks for that chart. Did you whip that up yourself, or am I completely blind?

J

It's on the Apple website. ;)

OP
spilio
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah... After seeing your post, I checked a bit more thoroughly. I guess I'm just used to seeing the options while customizing. I shouldn't be so quick to click the "select" button...

Thanks for the patience... and the info!

J

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature...
spilio....sorry fot the late respnse....i got that chart out of apple website..
well it's a "screen shot"
-------
mohammed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Core Duo - 2gb ram
Core 2 Duo - 3gb ram
Santa Rosa - 8gb ram

Max ram in the Santa Rosa-based models (2.2 & 2.4ghz) is 8 gigs of ram (2x4gb). Unfortunately nobody makes 4gb sodimms yet :D I would suggest buying the ram from either MacSales.com or MCEtech.com as they both have good prices right now ($120gb per 2gb stick).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature...
Core Duo - 2gb ram
Core 2 Duo - 3gb ram
Santa Rosa - 8gb ram

Max ram in the Santa Rosa-based models (2.2 & 2.4ghz) is 8 gigs of ram (2x4gb). Unfortunately nobody makes 4gb sodimms yet :D I would suggest buying the ram from either MacSales.com or MCEtech.com as they both have good prices right now ($120gb per 2gb stick).

i heard that too, the Santa Rosa can go up to 8 gb too, but unfortunately no 4gb sticks :(
that means macbook = 3gb of ram!
macbook pro = 8gb of ram!
------
Mohammed

OP
spilio
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I did my initial searching on Google, I ran into Santa Rosa info and it confused me to no end. Is Santa Rosa a code name for the newest generation of Core 2 Duo?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
When I did my initial searching on Google, I ran into Santa Rosa info and it confused me to no end. Is Santa Rosa a code name for the newest generation of Core 2 Duo?

Christ, I wouldn't even bother trying to understand Intel's naming conventions.

Things like Centrino. Centrino isn't a processor type; a laptop labeled with Centrino means it uses an Intel processor, graphics chip and Wi-Fi chip. It's marketed as some sort of ultimate wireless technology that's better than anything else out there, and in reality it just means the manufacturer bought components from Intel at a reduced cost so they'll stick a Centrino sticker on the thing*.

As I understand it, the "Santa Rosa Platform" is a similar albeit different idea... but I honestly don't know.

*as an interesting sidenote; Apple turned down a lot of money from Intel by not using Intel's logo on Apple products (or even on their website; they use their own). I think that shows a bit of class above the rest of the pack.

[EDIT] Wikipedia says that the "Santa Rosa Platform" is the 4th generation of the Centrino platform, and will be marketed as Centrino Pro or Centrino Duo depending on which components are actually used. The processor inside the MacBook Pro is the "Merom" (a mobile processor from the Core 2 line of products), which is part of the "Santa Rosa Platform". Confusing enough?

Reaction score
Un-matched - Is it worth it?

I have a macbook (2.16 c2d) with 2gb ram and my question really is is 3gb worth it?

I use photoshop so in theory it is but then again there is the whole matched ram thing that 3gb of un-matched may not perform as well as 2gb of matching or at least any improvement may be too neglible to notice.

The only report I have seen seems to indicate that it is worth it, however it was done by a company that sells ram so I am unsure if it's impartiality. Other than that I have seen plenty of answers based on theories but no actual reports based on real experience.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.