DVD help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook OS 10.4.10
Ok, so I know you can play DVDs with different regions on your mac... but you can only switch between the regions 4 times... is there a way you can change it after you've reached the limit?
And a little extra question, does anybody know why they only made it limited to 4 times anyways?

Thanks very much. :)

Oh, and btw, my computer is a MacBook OS 10.4.10 (if that helps with figuring this out at all XD I'm kind of computer retarded.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacOS Sonoma
It depends on the make/model of the DVD Player. There are unofficial fixes for it but I do not recommend or encourage such 'fixes'.

DVD players are set so that users who buy a DVD Player can set it to their own region to play their region's DVDs , this is to restrict what DVDs to play.
So US users should really play Region 1 discs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
It's a stipulation from the movie industry (to make sure cheap imports don't hurt domestic sales), and I thought it was 5 times.

The only way to get round it is to re-flash your drive with the firmware after your 5 switches; but it you get it wrong you can end up with a useless drive.

The only other way is to copy all your non region 1 DVDs at the same time, and remove the region encryption then set the drive back to region 1... I think that's against your country's Digital Millennium Copyright Act (or the Content Providers Own You, And The Government Agrees Act... whatever works for you) so it shall not be discussed further.

OP
Lawliet
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook OS 10.4.10
thanks for the advice... I don't think i'll try to switch it. and you don't have to worry about me copying the DVDs... o.o i would never do it. Plus.. there's the fact that I don't know how to do either things.. and I don't really want to learn that much anyways... lol ^^;

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.