Macbook - Backup Battery

Reaction score
In my old windows notebooks I am used to having the small watch style backup battery to keep date & time during main battery changeout.

I don't recall having seen one of these when switching my hard drive & ram on the mb.

I ask because while running boot camp / windows and gaming today, I was stupid and forgot to plug in the mb. Just as I shut down my game I saw the little warning sign and it shut down, main battery drained.

When OSX came back up the time was wrong, but it updated in a few seconds. I am just wondering if one of these backup batteries even comes in a macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Early 2008) 2.4GHz 4GB RAM running 10.5.4
I certainly think they do, but you're unlikely to see it in the user-serviceable part. Plus you won't have to replace that battery unless your notebook is very old (5 years +).

OP
P
Reaction score
I would think so too. But after draining the main battery and coming back up the time was wrong, and I had this issue with a windows laptop a few years ago, same thing happened. That time it killed the backup battery.

While OSX might not allow this to happen, it appears that windows does allow it to happen somehow.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.