Uninstalling applications...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 1GB mem
Since I cannot justify paying 12 dollars for an application that "completely" uninstalls programs, as a first time full time mac user I'd like to properly learn how to uninstall. I've read that most applications you can just drag the icon(?) into the trash to uninstall the whole package. What about preferences and caches? What is the proper way to COMPLETELY UNINSTALL a program?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Since I cannot justify paying 12 dollars for an application that "completely" uninstalls programs, as a first time full time mac user I'd like to properly learn how to uninstall. I've read that most applications you can just drag the icon(?) into the trash to uninstall the whole package. What about preferences and caches? What is the proper way to COMPLETELY UNINSTALL a program?

Try AppDelete, it's completely free and does the leg work for you. Otherwise, use Spotlight to search for the program name. That usually does a decent job.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
...What about preferences and caches?...

What about them?

Are you running out of disk space? If so, you may save a whopping megabyte or two by getting rid of them. Otherwise, why bother?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.