Address Book gone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Now don't ask me how, but when i went to open my address book recently, the icon in the dock had a translucent question mark over it, and the application was missing from my apps folder.

Maybe my little bro deleted it by mistake, not sure but anyway it's not there, nor in the trash, and i can't see it when i do a search in the finder.

So my question is: How can i reinstall it?

I started up software restore, but i can only find options to reinstall osx, the games that came with the ibook, idvd, or garageband and appleworks.

The osx installer apparently includes imovie, iphoto, ical and mail but i couldn't see address book in the description, plus i am not really keen on reinstalling my os...

so any ideas?

Thanks
aptmunich

OP
Aptmunich
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok well i did a bit of hunting around, and reinstalled osx..

So all my files and things are there, but now tony hawk 4 won't start??

I hope this was a one off, i'm going to restore th4 now, hope this works!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Try repair permissions. After every software update, and about every 2 weeks: close all apps and log totally off. Log on, go in Finder, Applications. Utilities, Disk Utility. After the message -getting disk information- select volume (below the hard drive name -upper left corner). Just highlight it. Now look to the lower two things are there near the middle, verify permissions, repair permissions. Click repair permissions

OP
Aptmunich
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
oh i repair permissions on a regular basis... but this problem might have been more about my brother's access permissions than panthers...;)
Although he swears he didn't touch the address book, and he does know his way around most computers fairly well!?

Anyway i did a reinstall of osx, and all was back except tony hawk as stated above, so i restored that as well and all works...

Just hope it doesn't happen again!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
so there isn't any way to get Address Book back? Did you try calling Apple?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
You can get it back using Pacifist but I am almost certain you will not have all of the entries still in tact

OP
Aptmunich
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1) What exactly is pacifist? Sorry i'm a noobie switcher...

2) Yes i did get the address book back, by reinstalling panther... all my contacts were also there.

The wierd thing is, i could access all my contacts by selecting 'window-> address panel' in mail.

So i guess the information in the address is saved somewhere other than the application is itself...lucky for me!

I didn't bother calling apple, i haven't the patience for those shmucks any more after spending approx. 4-5 hours on the phone with them trying to order the goddamm ibook and getting my ipod repaired a couple of months ago...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
www.versiontracker.com

Search for Pacifist
This program allows you to access all of the individual install packages on the OS X install CDS so you can install individual programs

OP
Aptmunich
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok got it, i'll take a look later, thanks :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.