smcFanController Worries

Reaction score
Hi,

I've just installed SmcFanController on my Macbook because its running a little hot. If you don't know what it is, its a piece of software that allows you to control the speed of the fans enabling you to cool the processor down if it is overheating.

I have a few concerns about it though. As far as I am concerned, the fans are set to specific parameters which are scheduled to activate on particular actions. Do people think that the software could adversely affect the fans if it is run too much. I currently have the fan running at 2700 RPM and am a little reluctant to increase the speed as I am worried it will overload the hardware.

I've searched the internet to see if anyone has had any hardware problems after installing this piece of software and I haven't found much yet. Any thoughts are welcome...:\

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The fans are preset and controlled by the system's own internal thermostats. If there is a need to spool the fans up, the system will do it on its own. Using fan control software is fine, but running your fans constantly will add up to unnecessary wear and result in shorter service life.

There is a known defect in some MacBooks where excessive thermal compound is applied to certain chips on the system, resulting in inefficient heat transfer to the thermal management components. If you believe that your system is running abnormally warm, I would take it up with Apple and have them check it.

OP
fritleyfrisp
Reaction score
Usually running at 60C, seems pretty hot to me, it becomes uncomfortable quite quickly

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Usually running at 60C, seems pretty hot to me, it becomes uncomfortable quite quickly

Yours may be one of the problematic machines. The fix is really quite simple, not requiring any special parts, other than some good quality thermal compound - any competent Apple technician should be able to determine the cause and repair it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz, 160 GB at 7200rpms 4GB ram...iPhone 3G
Yea my MBP runs around 50-60s... When it hits the 60's I touch the metal and it's pretty hot. Is that hot enough to go in for thermal paste thingy.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea my MBP runs around 50-60s... When it hits the 60's I touch the metal and it's pretty hot. Is that hot enough to go in for thermal paste thingy.

It doesn't hurt to ask, although 50-60C doesn't seem that bad. From what I've seen, the people that experience this problem are actually going up well over those kinds of temps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP SR 2.2Ghz 15.4" LED
Is the thermal paste issue still present in the new Santa Rosa chip MBP's?

I gave a quick search in google and found no reports of the newest MBP's having this problem. Anyone heard otherwise?

EDIT: NEVERMIND!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15.4" 2.2 Ghz, 160 GB, 2GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM
I've got up to 77 C.....I'm pretty sure that would count as thermal paste yea cwa107?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Early 2008) 2.4GHz 4GB RAM running 10.5.4
Mine runs idle at 50-60c, I guess it's pretty normal. Intel specs indicate it could withstand up to 100c - so I'm not really worrying much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Holy crap like a few seconds ago my comp hit 75 C ( 167 F)... And all iwas doing was playing chess, had itunes open, VLC and msn and firefox open. Nothing too major.

Now it dropped back down to 58 C.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Early 2008) 2.4GHz 4GB RAM running 10.5.4
Mine went up as high as 80c when converting DVD via handbrake. Fans were running at 6000rpm during conversion, after it's done the temp. fell to 50c.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yea it's just that i was using normal applications, like firefox, itunes, and msn and chess and it went that high. I'd only expect it to go high when i'm in final cut or photoshop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4GHz 4GB, iPod Classic 120GB
you were using chess... chess is all calculations, which means all processor work, haha alot of people actually use chess to benchmark processors... I'll give you a little experiment to do... go to your preferences in chess and slide the slider all the way to stronger,

#1 watch your temp rise very high
#2 watch the processor usage for chess go waaaayyy up
#3 look how long it actually takes to make a move, you may think it loc ked up, but nope it is just thinking and in terms of computers thinking is all processor work.

Most people think chess wouldn't use many resources and they just disregard it, but chess is a HUGE processor hog

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.