My fans never turn on!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" ibook g4, 1.42ghz. 512mb ram, 60gb hdd
Hi, I've installed istat recently and my cpu gets up to 60 degrees celcius. The other thing is istat says my fans aren't even running! I installed fan control but it gives me an error and won't launch. Does anyone know why my cpu is getting up to 60 degrees celcius and the fans don't turn on? It usually gets this hot when it has been sitting on my couch or bed for a while, it still gets hot while on hard surfaces though.

OP
Glenners
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" ibook g4, 1.42ghz. 512mb ram, 60gb hdd
Alright people thanks for the help. I've made a reservation at the genius bar near me (in another country actually!) so hopefully I'll get this figured out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.3Ghz i7 32GB 1TB | iPhone XR
Mine Runs Hotter

I have the same iBook as you the 1.42Ghz model and my fan doesn't come on until around 68 degrees C and that is pretty hot, but the only way that it really gets that high is when Im converting videos or something processor intensive, I use menutemperature to monitor my temp, it sits in the top menu bar and on average use it gets around 50~55 but I never thought my fans were working so when I install menutemp, I went into itunes and ran the visualizer untill the fans come on. If you have the hard ware test for your ibook, run that to make sure your fans are actually running and then try this.

Reaction score
I know this is an old post but maybe i can get help, i am having the same problem, ibook G4 fan not working at all, i took my mac apart thinking it was dirty or something, it looked brand new, there wasnt even a spec of dust on it, istat says its running at 0rpm...... is my fan dead or what? any way to test it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I know this is an old post but maybe i can get help, i am having the same problem, ibook G4 fan not working at all, i took my mac apart thinking it was dirty or something, it looked brand new, there wasnt even a spec of dust on it, istat says its running at 0rpm...... is my fan dead or what? any way to test it?
If it isn't hot enough, then it simply won't turn on. No need to tear it apart and check it. When I had an iBook G4 the fan only came on once in the almost two years I had it.

Also, iStat is horrendously inaccurate in several of its 'monitors'.
Don't pay too much attention to it and certainly don't obsess over its readings.

Reaction score
found a fan control program on MacUpdate, my fan seems to run fine, just not sure why it get so hot

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.