Anonymous Rep

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Sorry to bring the subject of Rep up again, but it would be nice if people giving negative rep could at least put their name to it, as I do. Firing off a drive-by negative rep and hiding behind the anonymity of it implies cowardice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
AMD 533 MHz, 312 mb RAM, 80 HDD. :(
Do you want to suggest that people can report posts without having their nickname with it?

Even if they can, (as ex-admin I know) the IP address is reported with it, if not the forum software stinks :p, and with 2 or 3 simple clicks the admin can see who reported the post, because all your message's posts are linked to your IP address, and when you report you will use 99,9% of the time the same IP as you use on your daily forum posts,

So the admin knows who it was,

Does it really matter if you know?
Only those who should know, know it, so problem solved I would say?

Or better said, what is the problem? ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Spoit, he's referring to reputation, not reporting posts.

Knightlie, good suggestion for those leaving rep, although I may disagree that it's cowardice.

Rep will always be anonymous. While it would be easy enough with one click of a button to add names to your rep view, the change would result in at least two things:

• People would use rep less often
  • There would be "rep wars" that break out

I would always suggest putting your name in the comment. If you're going to leave it, own up to it. But we'll never make it mandatory.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I seldom, if ever, give my name (either positive or negative rep). I feel that giving your name leaves a certain feeling of obligation for the recipient to "return the favor". That in turn creates a false reason for the recipient to leave rep (positive or negative) in response. Any rep should be left only if a member feels that it is deserving of the act, not as a retaliation or response to receiving it.
I find this to be true because in the past I always left my name and because of this, I received multiple reps (positive and negative) on a daily basis. Since I have ceased leaving my name attached, my reps have dropped off considerably. I find that this makes the rep system more honest, as the people I rep don't continually and habitually leave me rep in return (as was the case in the past).

OP
knightlie
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, cowardice is the wrong word and I shouldn't have used it. But what gets me is that every one of my positive reps has a name, and usually a short message, and the one negative one is blank. It just seems to me that if you have something to say, say it, by name, or don't bother.

I wouldn't advocate making it mandatory, or including the name on the rep automatically for the reasons Schweb stated, but I consider it courtesy to include your name and possibly a reason. It just seems like good manners to me.

I never feel obligated to leave rep "in return," I leave rep based on the post, not the poster.

OP
knightlie
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, and thanks to the "deliberately anonymous" poster who gave me negative rep for starting this thread - you're a real hero.

Edited to add: Sadly, owing to the hilarious joker abusing the rep system as a result of this thread, I think I'll just bow out of the rep thing altogether. As with many things in life, it only takes a single moron to spoil things for everyone else. Why waste my time trying to improve the site for others when I'm now getting negative feedback because some genius thinks it's funny?

rolleyes.gif

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.