Mail app won't go online.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro. 2.3Ghz Intel Core i7 running OSX 10.14.6, 16GB Ram
I'm getting this error message all of a sudden, and my mail account won't go online and get my mail any more. This happened one day from the next. I think I had just run Onyx. Any ideas what's going on?

Picture 1.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
It looks like your mail server might be down? You may want to talk to you ISP.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I'm getting this error message all of a sudden, and my mail account won't go online and get my mail any more. This happened one day from the next. I think I had just run Onyx. Any ideas what's going on?

Who is your ISP? Is your email with your ISP? AT&T(SBC YAHOO) has been having issues ever since they went to SSL.

OP
Simbad54
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My ISP is Noos in France. I can still access my mail through .Mac. I'll give Noos a call tomorrow, but it's been like this for about 5 days now.
Thanks for the swift replys guys.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
My ISP is Noos in France. I can still access my mail through .Mac. I'll give Noos a call tomorrow, but it's been like this for about 5 days now.
Thanks for the swift replys guys.

Do that and let us know what they say. You did not accidently change any settings in Mail did you?

OP
Simbad54
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, i rang my ISP. First problem is my bad French. I managed to expain the problem to the tech guy, and he insisted that i contact Apple. He gave me a number for some French Apple call centre, and thtey offered to call back with some one who could speak English.
Of course, this being France, something will Freeze over before that happens. I've emailed Mac support and he asked me to ensure I hadn't changed any prefs which I hadn't, so am waiting further info from him. At present i can still access my Virgin net email through Mail no problem, so seems to be Mac related.

OP
Simbad54
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update.
I cannot log into MSN messenger nor Gameranger to play Halo online. But Safari and Skype are fine. It appears that some thing in my DSL modem security settings might have changed and is preventing me accessing certain sites. Does that sound feasable?

OP
Simbad54
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Re-start thread

I had this problem a while ago, and it seems to have come back. I don't remember how in the end I fixed it, but I have a feeling I had to do a clean install to sort it out. I have just deleted Mail, after making a backup of the /User/Library/Mail folder, and the reinstalled a fresh copy. Even before I added the old Mail folder into the library, I got the same error. I know it is not my isp, as my old iMac is fine upstairs. I've turned of SSL, I've deleted the account. Nothing. So, I'm pretty sure it's something elsewhere on my Mac. I have been tinkering around on Terminal, and it might be something like that. I've done a permissions repair from my Install disc, etc. I'm basically at a loss. I really don't want to do a full install again.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.