USB to Ethernet help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2gHz, 30GB iPod
Hi all.
I'm looking for a cheap solution to my problem. I want to add a second ethernet jack to my MacBook via a USB-to-Ethernet jack (mainly for use in Internet sharing). I've done a few days worth of research and have found that most of these 'converters' won't work well with the Mac, yet no one gives a recommendation on which adapter to buy.
I am a college student so I am looking to go cheap (preferably under $15-$20). I appreciate any help!!!
Thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hi all.
I'm looking for a cheap solution to my problem. I want to add a second ethernet jack to my MacBook via a USB-to-Ethernet jack (mainly for use in Internet sharing). I've done a few days worth of research and have found that most of these 'converters' won't work well with the Mac, yet no one gives a recommendation on which adapter to buy.
I am a college student so I am looking to go cheap (preferably under $15-$20). I appreciate any help!!!
Thanks

Is there any reason you're not thinking about just picking up a cheap router to share that Internet connection? You'll save yourself a LOT of hassle doing it that way.

OP
cboom4250
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2gHz, 30GB iPod
Is there any reason you're not thinking about just picking up a cheap router to share that Internet connection? You'll save yourself a LOT of hassle doing it that way.

yes...at my school (Univ. of South Carolina) it is impossible to connect gaming systems to the school network. When I had my wii, I used internet sharing to connect to the network via airport wireless. I now want to use the second jack to connect my xbox 360 while I'm at school (right now, i'm at home and I have it set up to share my wireless connection through the ethernet jack to the xbox 360 because my internet router is upstairs).

hope that wasn't too incoherent.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes...at my school (Univ. of South Carolina) it is impossible to connect gaming systems to the school network. When I had my wii, I used internet sharing to connect to the network via airport wireless. I now want to use the second jack to connect my xbox 360 while I'm at school (right now, i'm at home and I have it set up to share my wireless connection through the ethernet jack to the xbox 360 because my internet router is upstairs).

hope that wasn't too incoherent.

Makes sense, but when you setup Internet sharing with a Windows machine or a Mac, your computer basically acts as a NAT router, handing out private IP addresses much like a plain old router. I wouldn't see why that would be any different (i.e. connect the network jack in your dorm to the router's Internet port and then connect your machines to the network switch ports on the router). The only mitigating factor would be if your school's administrators have blocked the protocols that the 360 uses for communication - but it would be the same thing with Internet connection sharing too.

OP
cboom4250
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2gHz, 30GB iPod
Makes sense, but when you setup Internet sharing with a Windows machine or a Mac, your computer basically acts as a NAT router, handing out private IP addresses much like a plain old router. I wouldn't see why that would be any different (i.e. connect the network jack in your dorm to the router's Internet port and then connect your machines to the network switch ports on the router). The only mitigating factor would be if your school's administrators have blocked the protocols that the 360 uses for communication - but it would be the same thing with Internet connection sharing too.

the reason that the internet sharing tactic works is because it hands out private IP addresses (and yes, the school has blocked the 360's access). Unlike the regular router though, internet sharing allows me to bypass my school's login procedures (which are obviously unavailable on my 360). Although it takes about 20 minutes to set up (as it did with the Wii), it is well worth it to get the system hooked up. The school requires login programs and the like to get online and by using internet sharing, i am able to simply share my internet without having to use login information.

but, do you have any suggestions on a cheap solution?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the reason that the internet sharing tactic works is because it hands out private IP addresses (and yes, the school has blocked the 360's access). Unlike the regular router though, internet sharing allows me to bypass my school's login procedures (which are obviously unavailable on my 360). Although it takes about 20 minutes to set up (as it did with the Wii), it is well worth it to get the system hooked up. The school requires login programs and the like to get online and by using internet sharing, i am able to simply share my internet without having to use login information.

but, do you have any suggestions on a cheap solution?

I think you can use most routers with RADIUS authentication, but if you're confident that won't work for you, I ran into this article that might help.

OP
cboom4250
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2gHz, 30GB iPod
thanks for your help. i honestly don't know why it works with internet sharing...but i've tried two routers and neither work. the login situation is still the problem. i will give that site a try and i guess from the looks of it, i can use any USB-to-ethernet router.
THANKS!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.