iMac vs. MBP: thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
Hey, so around November or so, I'll be getting a new computer for editing purposes; I'm currently on a 1.67 GHz PowerBook G4, and I just don't think it'll handle the workload of Final Cut Pro HD. I want to edit in 24 fps, and I know that'll be taxing. So, the three computers I'm looking at are the baseline MBP, the 17" MBP, and the 20" iMac. For awhile, it seemed like the iMac was a much better value for the money, but these days it's lagging behind in processor speed. Think it'll be equal again by November? Also, I've got trouble enough to deal with regarding the heat of the PBG4. Can anyone confirm if the MBP is STILL hotter, at this stage of development? Hotter than this, and I can't take it. Also, is the iMac still the dead-quiet, cool beast it was once known for? Thanks a lot folks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
AMD 533 MHz, 312 mb RAM, 80 HDD. :(
Well as you might have heard next Tuesday Apple does a new release from the iMac, that brings on new options,

me personally would go for the iMac, although you can not take it under your arm that quick,

If you would wait until November, you have the other release with Leopard in October also added, so I think you can make up your mind after that (maybe they upgrade the MBP again at that time, who knows? would be odd if they did but well it's not totally impossible)

I would bet when you pump your new iMac full with the cool stuff, in November it will over rock the MBP, but I suppose that's more my love for the iMac than for any laptop (I am not a real laptop fan at all so ;) )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
Apple switched to Intel because of heat issues, so the MBPs and MBs are alot cooler than PowerBooks.

I think you should choose purely based on this: Do you want a laptop or a desktop?

I'd recommend getting a 15" MBP, because if you want portability it's obviously the choice, and it's specs are equal to and in some respects better than an iMac, and not 17" because its too big to be portable, and also 17" screens aren't LED backlit yet, resulting in the same screens you normally see, instead of ones that are alot better.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.