Lost correct screen resolution on secondary monitor

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 19" widescreen LCD monitor that I was using as a secondary connected to my macbook pro. The native resolution for this monitor is 1440 x 900, which the os was detecting properly at first. Today I closed the macbook's lid while the external monitor was connected, the system went into sleep mode and when I woke it up, the 2nd monitor's resolution was reset to 800 x 600. Now 1440 x 900 is not even an option in the display settings, despite having rebooted / disconnected / reconnected the external monitor.

What do you have to do to get the correct screen resolution back?

Thanks.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hello, I have a 19" widescreen LCD monitor that I was using as a secondary connected to my macbook pro. The native resolution for this monitor is 1440 x 900, which the os was detecting properly at first. Today I closed the macbook's lid while the external monitor was connected, the system went into sleep mode and when I woke it up, the 2nd monitor's resolution was reset to 800 x 600. Now 1440 x 900 is not even an option in the display settings, despite having rebooted / disconnected / reconnected the external monitor.

What do you have to do to get the correct screen resolution back?

Thanks.

I've found that sometimes when the "Mirrored mode" option is selected under the Display System Preferences, the system tries to choose the lower common denominator resolution that both displays can use. If you uncheck this setting, it will redetect the resolutions correctly (especially if you click "Detect Displays"). Check that option and let us know what you find out.

I've also found that if you enable the "Show displays in menu bar" option, and click on the monitor icon in the menu bar, you generally get a little bit more flexibility to force a particular resolution. It's kind of quirky, but if you fool around with it a bit, you can usually straighten it out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.