• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Camcorder & iMovie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15"
I bought a JVC GZ-HD7 camcorder today and after installing the Quick time plug in thing, i couldnt get SD or HD movies to import into iMovie. ive heard something about a Quick time pro upgrade but any advice or help would be GREATLY appreciated, i'm at my wit's end... :[

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
How is the camera. I have been thinking of getting it. Looking for a cheap hd solution.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
I have a different JVC HDD camera and it uploads to iMovie perfectly if I use a firewire. The USB on the other hand requires you to convert the files as they are in some weird JVC only format. I had problems with the firewire initially however, it proved to be just a bad connection. I believe that all of JVC's cameras should import fine into iMovie...I was also told this by the JVC customer support guy.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15"
the camera itself is fantastic, it also serves as a ten megapixel camera. its just these TOD file things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
What is wrong with the .TOD files? You need to covert them.

First try this. Download MPlayer for OS X (free) and change the .TOD file extension to .mpg on one of you files, then try to play it in MPlayer. Should have sound and Video. If this works, then you need to covert the .TOD to a file that iMovie will import, basically .DV.

Use MPEGStreamClip (free), but if you don't have it, you will need the apple quicktime mpeg2 component. It costs $20.00, but try MPEGStreamclip first, if you don't have the component it will tell you.

Also, you might get the Perian Codec Pack (free) v. 1 or higher, if you don't have it, and see if ffmpegX (free) might convert them for you too.

I also have a tutorial for using the JVC HDD camcorders on my site, link is in my sig. Mine uses .MOD, but should be similar.

Best,

Brian

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15"
Thank you so much brian! youre my lifeline with this JVC stuff!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
No problem, I hope it was helpful information.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.