Laser Printers and Glossy Paper

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I feel extremely stupid right now, but can you use glossy paper with an laser printer?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I feel extremely stupid right now, but can you use glossy paper with an laser printer?

I don't believe so, only because toner is designed to adhere to the paper its melted onto. I would imagine a roll through the fuser would be damaging to the glossy finish of the paper.

This is just a guess and not based on any personal evidence. There may be glossy paper especially designed for laser printers.

EDIT: I found this explanation, which seems to confirm my hypothesis: http://8help.osu.edu/1432.html

OP
PowerBookG4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
awesome thanks for the info, I have seen photo paper come out of laser printers but my dad informed me that he didn't think it would work with standard glossy paper and you have just confirmed that for me, so thanks :) I now just need to ask around and figure out exactly what kind of paper they were using.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
As well as messing the paper up I'm pretty sure a laser printer will melt the glossy coating which will then stick to the mechanism and jam it up. You'd need laser-specific paper, I believe.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.