MBP Sleep loses internet connection, why?

Reaction score
My C2D MBP seems to lose internet connection when I place it in sleep mode.

Ex: when returning to my MBP I find Azereus and iChat are logging back in on me.

It seems to happen whether I'm using the wifi or cat5 nic to get online.

I have searched around a bit with no defined results...

I would like to leave my MBP asleep at night yet have it still download and seed torrents etc....

pls any advice doods!

-J_Dinan

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
My C2D MBP seems to lose internet connection when I place it in sleep mode.

Ex: when returning to my MBP I find Azereus and iChat are logging back in on me.

It seems to happen whether I'm using the wifi or cat5 nic to get online.

I have searched around a bit with no defined results...

I would like to leave my MBP asleep at night yet have it still download and seed torrents etc....

pls any advice doods!

-J_Dinan

When the Mac goes into sleep mode, it turns off the wireless radios and the network card to conserve power (in addition to the hard drive and all non-essential systems). It basically draws just enough power to keep the contents of its memory stable. That is the whole point of sleep mode - to save energy, but still keep everything available so that you can come back to it later and pick up where you left off. So, when it comes out of sleep, all of the systems fire back up again and the Internet connection is restored.

If you want to keep downloading, for example, the best thing to do would be to just turn the display off and not close the lid.

OP
J
Reaction score
Good advice, thx for that fast reply too.

I think that I will try to just turn the display off. I really wish that I could close the whole thing and have it keep working.

Thanks again!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Good advice, thx for that fast reply too.

I think that I will try to just turn the display off. I really wish that I could close the whole thing and have it keep working.

Thanks again!

You can close the lid and have it not go into sleep by using one of several programs that disable sleep mode. The only one I've really tried is called SleepLess.

Just be aware that these are hacks, and not supported by Apple. Much of your system's heat is dissipated through the keyboard and surrounding area. So, by closing the lid, you keep your Mac from breathing in an optimal way. This raises temperatures, and while it's generally not a big deal, it does make the fans work a lot harder and higher temperatures are proven to decrease longevity.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.