New iMac

Reaction score
Got my iMac a few weeks ago, and I'm only just getting around to connecting to the internet. I searched this forum, but couldn't find anyone with the same problem, so here goes:

BT is my ISP (I'm English BTW), and I cant find anything on their site relating to setting up internet on a mac. I dont know if anyone on here has experience with BT, but anyway...

I have a choice of modems:
USB powered BT voyager 105. I've heard they are one of the worst going, and I believe it.
D-Link ADSL2+ Ethernet Modem

Which one should I use, or should I get something completely different?

And on another note, programs keep closing for no reason. This has happened since I installed Whitecap, a visualisations program for iTunes.

Thanks
Joe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Hi Joe

Either modem will work, but Ethernet is the most commonly used port when plugging in a modem into a Mac. So I'd go with the D-Link.

BT work fine with Macs. Just plug in your modem and follow the setup assistant in System Prefs > Networking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Santa Rosa 15" 2.4Ghz, 8600M GT 256MB Gfx, 2GB RAM
D-Link is a pretty good brand and ethernet works with any system unlike usb devices, which require drivers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, 2.0Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB Ram
I use (AOL-UK, unfortunately as it's my dad's ISP) and you can access the net fine via an ADSL (Or cable, depending on your router, most USB ADSL modems wont work as they use Windows Drivers). I've used both Belkin and Netgear ADSL Routers & Have had no problems. I am the only Mac User on my home network (3 Windoze PC's, 1 iMac) :D

Reaction score
If your program closing started after installing Whitecap, remove Whitecap and see if the problem goes away!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
bt back up isnt mac compatible

That's true, but it's just a gimmick for those unable to back up their stuff themselves.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.