Yikes! iBook G3 freezes at grey Apple on startup!

P

pcjabber

Alright, I hosed my Panther install two nights ago, and tried to reinstall yesterday evening. I just let it go after the 3rd CD was in. Now, it rebooted last night, and was _STILL_ on the Gray Apple screen on startup. I have tried going into open firmware (CMD-OPT-O-F) and typing:
Code:
reset-nvram
reset-all
and, upon startup, zapping PRAM and NVRAM (yes, I know the commands in Open Firmware did the same....) by holding CMD-OPT-P-R until the 3rd startup chime.

What shall I do? I need my iBook today or tomorrow, and definately for Monday!

Also, how urgent is it to call Apple about that logic board thing for the iBook G3s?

Thanks,
PCjabber

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
THREAD MOVED

did you run Disk Utility off the first installation disk to wipe the drive clean first?

OP
P

pcjabber

I chose "Erase and Install" as the option. Also, I reinstalled Panther just a sec ago, and I haven't yet rebooted, so, I'm trying it in a minute.

OP
P

pcjabber

OK, never mind, its working fine now =)
Must've been a corrupted install of OS X.
Thanks!

OP
P

pcjabber

Terribly sorry about posting in the wrong forum. I must have clicked wrong. I thought I clicked on "Switcher Hangout"....Sorry about that!

PCjabber

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.