A couple of ?'s

Reaction score
Hello!

First of all, I want to say that I just got my first Mac. I got the Macbook with 2.16 processor. Anyway, I have some questions.

1. I am used to using Paint Shop Pro on my old PC. I loved how I could have black and white pictures with an object still in color. I have read about GIMP. Should I use that? And is it pretty easy to use? I tried downloading it but I can't even figure out how to do that.

2. I have a lot of pictures. Well, I put em on my new laptop. Should I keep them on a CD only and delete them from my computer to free up space?

Thanks a lot. I am still getting used to the Mac OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook white, 2.0 GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo, 80G HDD, 1G RAM
Personally, I would put them on my mac so I could show them off in iPhoto and mess around with them! It's a lot easier...

Unless you need all that HDD space for something important, I wouldn't worry about filling up your machine until you actually do >.<

Congrats on the new mac :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
GIMP is a lot of things, but easy isn't one of them, I'm sorry to say. However, I am not picking on GIMP. I would say the same thing about its "big brother", Photoshop. GIMP, Photoshop and the like attack a complex area, and by necessity are complex solutions.

I would strongly recommend GIMP - it is excellent - but get yourself one of the many good books available on its use and read up a bit. You will be rewarded for the time you invest.

By the way, GIMP is an X11 based program, so you will need to install Apple X11 (it is on your OSX install DVD) before you try to run it. Then, startup X11, and then start up GIMP.

Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.