Switching to Comcast quirks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" PB G4
So, this DSL has really gotten too slow. I'd like something faster.
It seems like around these parts the only real cable internet offerer is Comcast...so I suppose that's how I'm gonna go.

Now, here's the deal. I don't have any cable services yet. The cheapest option to get hooked up is the "Professional Installation for one (1) computer." The description reads: "Choose this option to install Comcast High-Speed Internet service on one(1) computer in your home."

Now, I actually have five computers I want to hook up (3-4 wirelessly), but that would require paying 50 bucks more the Comcast way. I already have a router that I'm using now. Can't I get the Comcast folks to set it up for one computer, then just plug the Ethernet cable out from the cable modem into my router to distribute it?

I normally wouldn't think of a reason why it wouldn't work. But I (wisely, I might add) Googled and found this:
http://www.cs.umd.edu/~daveho/info/comcast.html

Wow, talk about a pain in the neck. Particularly so because my D-Link DI-524 router doesn't seem to have the ability to change the MAC address of the router WAN.

Sooooooo, what should I do?

Would it be possible to figure out the WAN of my router, and then when I install the modem, have my MAS address spoofed to that of my router?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD
I did the same thing for a friend.

The steps I took:

Comcast tech came over - installed and got the computer online

he left.

released the IP from the computer, powered off cable modem

connected router, configured for dhcp wan side, setup lan side.

powered up cable modem

surfed.

Now, this was last week in Naperville, Illinois. No issues at all - worked right away.

You can ditch the professional installation, honestly. If I recall correctly, the basic install is "tech comes to your house, installs modem, verifies cable link, leaves". After that, you just plug in your router, set it for dhcp, and away you go.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" PB G4
Thanks for the reply, but I'm a bit unclear:
You don't even need to do the MAC address jiggering?

(And yeah, I figured the "pro" installation would be pretty useless, but since I don't have cable TV or anything else they say they gotta do it.)

Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nope.

Didn't have to do any of that.

From what I was told, they key is to 'release' the IP from the computer prior to shutting down the cable modem and attaching it to the router.

I'll be over at my parent's house tonight - they've got Comcast connected directly to their PC. I'll take a Linksys Router over there tonight and test, just to make sure.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" PB G4
That would be fantastic if you could test that. Thanks hugely.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If you don't have cable and your house or apartment is not cable ready. Then then they will need to come out and run a line from the house/apartment to the post or outside cable connection.

Reaction score
I have comcast. at 22000kbps its the fastest around and I don't mind paying. The service however suks. Once a month it will go down for three days and no one knows why.

Any way. I got my modem called comcast to register it then plugged it into my airport express. I just ran the airport utility and after 5 minutes it was running. If you already have a newtwork its jsut as simple as plugging in the modem to your router. With my pc I just ran the wizard and it worked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just to confirm...

Took a Linksys WRT54G, new in box, connected it up, and was surfing in minutes.

I'm thinking you should be good to go.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" PB G4
If you don't have cable and your house or apartment is not cable ready. Then then they will need to come out and run a line from the house/apartment to the post or outside cable connection.

Hmm? We have cable outlets and stuff...and I think a line going to the post outside. Don't they just have to enable it or whatever?

And thanks Kilo and Petenet...sounds like I'm set to go.

Thanks everybody!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
I have the modem Comast gave me and a D-Link DI-524 router and everything works great. In this one screen I remember I had to click "Clone MAC address" to get it to start working.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" PB G4
Well, I figured out that I can actually control the WAN of my router, so I should be fine then. It seems that some people report that Comcast messes with the MACs and some don't. Funny. On one router review it said that Comcast puts the MAC address into three databases on their side...what?

I figure I'll be buying my own modem too, because A-it's cheaper, and B-maybe Comcast won't be able to tinker with it as much.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Well, I figured out that I can actually control the WAN of my router, so I should be fine then. It seems that some people report that Comcast messes with the MACs and some don't. Funny. On one router review it said that Comcast puts the MAC address into three databases on their side...what?

I figure I'll be buying my own modem too, because A-it's cheaper, and B-maybe Comcast won't be able to tinker with it as much.

Comcast may supply a router/wireless router device depending on the customer's request - and that may be where they record MAC addresses. However, I would recommend that you just get the self-install kit and provide your own modem.

The only thing that the tech will do would be to separate your cable lines so that there is no more than one splitter between the main line coming into the house and your cable modem. The more splitters there are (and depending on the quality of the splitter), the more difficult it will be to get an sustain a connection.

As long as you are familiar with how the cables run between the room you want to put the modem into and where the cable comes into your home, you should be fine to install it yourself. When you get your cable modem, just record the MAC address. When you hook it up, just call Comcast and ask them to provision your modem. If you need any help, let me know.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" PB G4
Comcast may supply a router/wireless router device depending on the customer's request - and that may be where they record MAC addresses. However, I would recommend that you just get the self-install kit and provide your own modem.

The only thing that the tech will do would be to separate your cable lines so that there is no more than one splitter between the main line coming into the house and your cable modem. The more splitters there are (and depending on the quality of the splitter), the more difficult it will be to get an sustain a connection.

As long as you are familiar with how the cables run between the room you want to put the modem into and where the cable comes into your home, you should be fine to install it yourself. When you get your cable modem, just record the MAC address. When you hook it up, just call Comcast and ask them to provision your modem. If you need any help, let me know.

I probably could do it myself, but they want a tech to come over because we don't have any current cable service to the house...I guess they just want to make sure all the wires are hooked up or so? I guess that's a good idea considering that I'm not even sure what you mean by "splitter." Do you just mean where they split up the cable and branch it off to different rooms? Or what? One thing is that I have one or two wired computers that I need to hook up, and they're in the basement...there may or may not be splits before the basement outlet; how do I check?

Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
A tech come over to my house to install the service and do all that wiring stuff and he ended up installing it on my computer and setting the whole thing up.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" PB G4
So the tech will check over wiring then too? As far as I know the cable system could be in total disrepair...it does look ok though.

As far as general cable stuff goes I have one question:
In the garage there is a cable type cable that comes out of the garage ceiling. It connects to a mains power adapter transformer deal...should this plug be plugged into the mains power? All I know is that there's a cable TV type cable screwed into the power adapter.

And I traced the line going into the basement...connects directly into the main cable box that hooks up to the post outside. Is this good or bad news?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I probably could do it myself, but they want a tech to come over because we don't have any current cable service to the house...I guess they just want to make sure all the wires are hooked up or so? I guess that's a good idea considering that I'm not even sure what you mean by "splitter." Do you just mean where they split up the cable and branch it off to different rooms? Or what? One thing is that I have one or two wired computers that I need to hook up, and they're in the basement...there may or may not be splits before the basement outlet; how do I check?

Thank you!

Splitters are little connectors that literally split one coax cable into multiple connections. On one end, you connect the feed, on the other you connect the cable runs to your outlets. Typically a home will have a main splitter where the cable comes into the house. With a self-install kit, Comcast will supply you with a special splitter. That splitter should be attached between the main line, the run to your cable modem and the other output should go to your main splitter. Based one what I'm reading of your understanding of these things, you'll definitely be better off having a tech come out and do the install.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" PB G4
I see now, thanks for the explanation. It'll get worked out. :)

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.