What do you run under Parallels?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro 2017 3GHz 10-core 128GB RAM MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.3GHz i5 16GB RAM
Which Windows applications can you not be without after switching?

I use Parallels mostly for Agendus for Palm (please do a Mac version Iambic!!), MS Money, Norton Security and Media Player for streaming video from sites where QuickTime does not work since Media Player seems to be much more stable and give better quality than Real Player.

Everything always in coherence mode of course.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz C2D, 1GB RAM, 320 HDD, Superdrive, Mighty Mouse
Use parallels just to use Media Player.... Read about Flip4Mac. You're just wasting resources and hard drive space

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Windows XP SP2 to run corporate apps when I a) don't feel like lugging the Dell around, or b) too lazy to take the Dell out of the bag, shove it in it's dock, boot it up, turn on the external monitor, just to quickly check the corporate email or see who is on Sametime.

Other than that, it's mostly to show people I can do it. Rest of the time it's pure Mac OS X goodness.

OP
rogerinlondon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro 2017 3GHz 10-core 128GB RAM MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.3GHz i5 16GB RAM
Use parallels just to use Media Player.... Read about Flip4Mac. You're just wasting resources and hard drive space

I have Flip4Mac and it does not always work for streaming video.

In one site I use a lot, it will not allow me to use the player in an external window, only in a new browser window and it does not perform that well there either. RealPlayer is possible, but it crashes and is laggy so Media Player is the best alternative.

I guess that site is not built with Mac in mind, but that happens....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.
Do you need windows installed on a mac to run windows apps? If so, is there an alternative application that will just let me "run" the apps without installing the dreaded XP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
As a Realtor I have to use Explorer to access the MLS system. That's about it...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Do you need windows installed on a mac to run windows apps? If so, is there an alternative application that will just let me "run" the apps without installing the dreaded XP.

There's WINE and Crossover, but they can be finicky and not every piece of Windows software works. For 100% compatibility, Parallels is the best.

I use it mainly for those rare websites that don't work on a Mac. Otherwise I just use it to show off ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I use it to demonstrate my GIS applications at work; laptops supplied by our ICT dept. are restricted to the point of being unusable, so I use my own. I also studied my Open University course with Parallels as the software was Windows-only. At the moment I'm also using it to run Eclipse and develop a website using Google Web Toolkit, which doesn't easily swap between Windows and OSX.

I also play CivII on it. :)

Reaction score
well once i get it working ill be using it for just 2 apps that i miss most
media monkey for keeping control of my 30000+ songs and trillian as there is no comparison with it against ichat...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz Macbook Pro, 2GB RAM, OSX v10.5
Nothing yet, as I don't have a Mac... But when I get mine, I'll be using Parallels (or Fusion) to run IIS, and Visual Studio. And I'm confident that others in my company will want to use it for Outlook (I use Thunderbird, so I expect migration to be smooth for me).

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
(I use Thunderbird, so I expect migration to be smooth for me).

Tonight I was helping a friend with some special formatted email invitations and was trying the emails on Mail and Thunderbird both on OSX and XP. Both versions of Thunderbird worked and look exactly the same, so that is one thing you can fun on OSX and feel at home.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz Macbook Pro, 2GB RAM, OSX v10.5
That's good to know. Personally, I use little software that isn't already available on the Mac. As I mentioned above, IIS and VS are keepers, as is MS Access. But, other than that, I don't feel any compelling need to stay with Windows - except for those times when I need to support a client need.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.