App folder empty

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
Can someone explain this to me.
I have since Day 1 had my Application folder in my dock so when I click and hold it it opens in a kind of windows way. I just like it like that

However when I open Finder and click on the home folder the application folder is Empty

applications-20070803-173832.jpg

However if I click on either my Application folder on the dock or in finder as above all my apps are there

applications-20070803-173954.jpg

Can someone tell me whats going on ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I can tell you that I do NOT have an Applications folder in my HOME folder.

OP
Kilted1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
Ah Thank you Ride .. So does this mean it got there by some mysteriuos means. And that it will it no harm to remove it ?

Virt rep mate I have to spread it around

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Drag it (the Applications folder in your Kilted (home folder) to the trash (*Don't empty the trash). Then double click the Macintosh HD in the finder window... then click Applications folder that is found there.
1. Does it open and show your Apps?

Close the finder windows.

Double click the Applications icon in the Finder.
2. Does is open and show your apps?

Close the finder windows.

Double click the Applications folder (alias) in the Sidebar of a Finder window.
3. Does is open and show your apps?

If you answered Yes to 1, 2, AND 3, I think it would be safe to say you can "empty the trash".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
It will probably return. If you install applications for just your user account, that folder will probably be recreated.

I find mine very useful. I store my home-grown apps in there - mostly automator and applescript apps that do certain things like batch rename or mount file servers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Good point giulio. I install ALL my apps system wide.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Consider the following:
attachment.php

The sidebar has scripts that I wrote that mount servers and open a new window to the working directory, usually the webroot if it's a web server - or my home directory on my PC. These are custom built, so I store them separately than the consumer applications.

Yes... thats it... I was trying to find what I was using as a distinction between the /Applications/Utilites folder and my ~/Applications/ folder.

And there it is. If It's a commercial program, I put it in /Applicaions. If I made it myself, it goes in ~/Applications.... since they are personal to me, they go in my Home =)

I don't know how the ~/Applications folder got created in the first place. But I'm glad it was. I use it!

Picture 2.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Very nice! I like that. I may do something similar on my iMac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.