mac Performa 5500 is as dead as my best friends marrage

Reaction score
My Macintosh Performa 5500 has something quite wrong with it

it bongs when it boots but nothing comes on on the screen and i have left it for about 20 mins for something to happen. dosent respond to having the os9.1 disc put in it and dosent respond to keybord commands. but as i said why i think its wierd is because it bongs like a working mac would. i think something has died on the board. any thoughts as i need this old hunk of mac if u believe it or not

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP SR 2.2Ghz 15.4" LED
My Macintosh Performa 5500 has something quite wrong with it

it bongs when it boots but nothing comes on on the screen and i have left it for about 20 mins for something to happen. dosent respond to having the os9.1 disc put in it and dosent respond to keybord commands. but as i said why i think its wierd is because it bongs like a working mac would. i think something has died on the board. any thoughts as i need this old hunk of mac if u believe it or not

Wow, I am impressed you are still using a Performa. My 5200 Performa is sitting next to my First Generation G3 Tower. The wonderful computer that came with the puck mouse.

Sorry I can't provide any help on your issue though.

OP
W
Reaction score
its not my main pc but **** i love it. i had it before i had a windows pc. when i get my mac mini which im doing the 2.16 ghz core duo upgrade and 2 gig of ram with 160 sata had im sure as **** ill never buy another windows desktop and it will always be mac

Reaction score
If the screen remains dark, maybe it's the monitor.

How well-versed are you with 9.1? You know about booting into OS 9 while holding down the shift key (if the computer is set up to boot into 9)?

OP
W
Reaction score
well its always worked so i know how to use the mac inside os 9 well but havent tried botting from cd or some other way so no what does it do?

Reaction score
If 9 is loaded but it won't boot from it, there may be an extension conflict. Holding down the shift key while booting into 9 turns the extensions off, so any conflict won't occur.

Reaction score
If the screen remains dark, maybe it's the monitor.

How well-versed are you with 9.1? You know about booting into OS 9 while holding down the shift key (if the computer is set up to boot into 9)?
An anonymous member replied as a reputation remark to my post I quote above. The member's remark:
couldn't be... monitors last the longest, the ram/pram would die first.
I have had two monitors that dropped dead without warning, one of them Apple-branded, the other a ViewSonic.

I bought the Apple monitor new, together with a new G3. I still have the G3.

My G4 tower used the ViewSonic, also purchased new. I still have the G4.

There were at least 50 Macs at work, also using monitors by Apple, ViewSonic, Sony and others. Over a decade and a half, monitors died left, right and centre.

Apple had a ton of problems with e-Mac monitors. Dead pixels and worse are no strangers to Mac laptops — and iMacs, for that matter.

There is no law saying monitors must outlive any other part of any computer.

M

MacHeadCase

I too saw monitors die sooner than any other hardware component so the one that neg repped you didn't see everything there is to see in the computer world. I didn't either, but that's one of the things I experienced at the hospital I worked a couple of years ago.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.