Large Size Scanner

Reaction score
My father runs a small machine shop in the Cleveland, OH (USA) area, and purchased an iMac G5 a little less than two years ago. The shop's FAX machine is giving signs that it's reaching the end of its lifespan, so my father has started using the FAX tools on his G5, and is very happy with them. The problem is that many of the drawings he has to FAX around are larger than 8.5" X 11". The rapidly decaying FAX machine had an adjustable scanner width, up to 17" X 22". My dad wants to scrap buying a new FAX altogether and just buy a large size scanner.

He's too busy with the shop to have the time to search around for such a device that will play nice with his G5, so he asked me to look around for one. I'm a college student home on summer break, so he asked me to look around the Web for such a device. I'm a Windows guy myself, so I haven't the faintest idea where to look. I registered here in the hopes some good Samaritan could give me some assistance.

I need a scanner that will work with the G5's native FAX utilities (I assume that will be more or less automatic compatibility), and that uses a USB 2.0 connection. Obviously, the device must be fully compatible with OSX. As stated, the scanner must be able to scan documents larger than 8.5" X 11", though the massive display of 17" X 22" likely isn't necessary, so feel free to recommend anything between those sizes. At this stage in research, price isn't an issue, I just want to see what's out there. I understand that board policy discourages the distribution of sales site URLs on this site; product names or model numbers will do, as will a Private Message on where to look.

I thank in advance anyone who helps me out on this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.