Hard Drive questions

Reaction score
Well, this my second *first* post (I think my old account was banned =] ). Anyway, I have a MacBook Core 2 Duo, 2.0GHz, 1GB RAM and 80GB hard drive. I am looking to upgrade so that I can keep up with the ever moving standards of computing =]. Anyway, I am getting two 1GB RAM sticks from Crucial (http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/checkout/cartdetail.aspx) and I want to upgrade my hard drive. Essentially, this is all because I am running Windows XP on a partition, and I want the extra RAM to be able to run some games. I think the Hard Drive is fairly self explanatory =]. (Smiley overkill!) Well, my question is, how much hard drive can my computer handle? I think that makes sense. The latest MacBooks can handle 200GB, and I wondered if mine can as well. It is Core 2 Duo, bought just before christmas. And also, I have seen videos of people replacing the hard drive on YouTube (woooo!), and I was wondering if it just a standard 2.5" hard drive? If so, these can be obtained fairly cheaply. Thanks in advance for any help.

Liam

Reaction score
yes i think it is the standard 2.5 and macbooks can handle 2GB ram and 200GB Hardrive

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The MacBook uses 2.5" SATA HD's. Do not get an IDE drive.

As far as GB size, it can handle as large a drive as you care to put in it.
This particular limitation no longer has to do with modern hardware nor Operating Systems, only to the file format you use (really only Fat32 of the file formats still in use today).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
The MacBook uses 2.5" SATA HD's. Do not get an IDE drive.

As far as GB size, it can handle as large a drive as you care to put in it.
This particular limitation no longer has to do with modern hardware nor Operating Systems, only to the file format you use (really only Fat32 of the file formats still in use today).

Yea, it will fit the 2.5" sata notebook hardrives of any size you want.
There is some RAM from newegg.com everyone gets that's like $89 for 2GB (2x1GB). Like G Skill or something.
Good luck.
Bryan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Try and get a 5400rpm drive, not a 7200, as the faster ones will suck your battery up faster.

OP
L
Reaction score
So providing I get a 2.5" drive that isn't IDE I can get whatever size I want?

I wonder why Apple says otherwise...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Exactly where does Apple say otherwise?

Or are you going only by the specs of the drives Apple has available to order pre-installed?

And no, don't look for a drive that is "not" something, you want a drive that "is" 2.5" and SATA.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.