How do I rename a file, *please don't laugh at me"

T

tv-ma

Okay, so I am a recent switcher from Linux to MAC. I am so retarded, I do not know how to rename a file? Normally in Linux I would right click a file through the gui, or just use the "mv" command from the cli. I downloaded a file to my desktop on my powerbook, and I can't seem to find a way to "rename" it so I can better categorize it. Any help is appreciated. I did do a search through the forums under " rename file " but couldnb't find anyhting.

please don't laugh at me ? :)

thanks,
tv-ma

OP
M

Mouse26

tv-ma said:
Okay, so I am a recent switcher from Linux to MAC. I am so retarded, I do not know how to rename a file? Normally in Linux I would right click a file through the gui, or just use the "mv" command from the cli. I downloaded a file to my desktop on my powerbook, and I can't seem to find a way to "rename" it so I can better categorize it. Any help is appreciated. I did do a search through the forums under " rename file " but couldnb't find anyhting.

please don't laugh at me ? :)

thanks,
tv-ma

Don't worry, I had much teh same trouble until last week! Getting out of Windows habits can be hard eh?

Basically, click on the file you want to rename, hold down the Apple Button and press "I", or select "info" from the file menu on the top bar. This will bring up a screen with the file information.

In there you will see the filename field can be edited, so just type in there and press return to rename your file.

OP
T

tv-ma

omg.. thank you so much, I would of never figured that out, seems logical, ... again, thanks Mouse26 I appreciate it.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
The other way is to double click on the name of the file, not the icon. Once you have done this the name should be high-lighted. Now just type in the new name.

OP
M

Mouse26

rman said:
The other way is to double click on the name of the file, not the icon. Once you have done this the name should be high-lighted. Now just type in the new name.

No problem tv-ma, and thanks rman for the shortcut way to do it, live and learn!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
you beat me to it rman...I was just gonna say...

Reaction score
And if you're running OS X, you still have mv. Just open the Terminal.

OP
T

tv-ma

what is the easiest way to open a terminal? Can I make it a shortcut of a right clcik of CTRL + click menu? How do I open it normally? I have opened it once, but was a link through the help menu, and it took me to a kornshell, I thought the default was bash?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
A really nice little app is "Open Terminal" which you can download at http://www.entropy.cc I believe that's the url, basically in panther you stick it with the rest of your stuff on the left of your file browser, and when you click on it, it opens up the terminal and changes the directory to the directory you were just in in the GUI.. pretty smooth :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
All those work fine, I just use the Finder > Applications > Utilities > Terminal path. Also, if you run crons there -off line - as root, you may, as I have, taken to no need to retype the command, just hit the up arrow for last command (should be exit) again for the next previous command etc and it's done

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love student discount (sig)
you can highlight the file and press enter or single click the filename and wait a second :D

double clicking it opens it for me :-/

I read OS X is the easiest to rename files and I 100% agree

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
rman said:

actuely its one click on title, double click will just open

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I double click the file name, not the icon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
rman said:
I double click the file name, not the icon.

you never give up do you ;)

double click on name OPENS THE FILE!!!
I think you have double click speed preference on high, and if you dont click fast enough it has effect of single click and highlites the name.
trust me, if you klick once on TITLE it will get highlited and selected.
lower the double click speed and you'll see it yourself

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Or you can click on the icon and hit return/enter, that will allow you to edit the name and you don't have to worry about how fast you click :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.