Mbp 2.33 Vs Mbp 2.4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature...
hello guys how are you doing....
i have the MBP 2.33 core2 duo 15" 2 gig, 120gb hd
i was thinking of getting the new MBP 2.4 17" 2 gig 160gb hd.
is is worth getting it! or shall i wait for the new ones!!!
the reason is i want to run the new mac os x leopard 100%
cuz i was thinking my mbp is old :Confused:
so what do you guys think!
please help

thank you
mohammed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4 GHz C2D 160 GB HDD 2 GB RAM
Your "old" MBP will run Leopard just fine. Its not even that old!

The only reason I really see in you getting a new one is to get Leopard free of charge and the bigger screen. If you don't mind the slightly smaller screen and having to par for Leopard then just stick with your "old" computer.

OP
mo_albaker
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature...
killedbyinterne, i love the screen size in my current MBP...its very fast and so far so good "more than good " :D
but i've heard and seen videos on youtube from : jon4lakers saying that MBP 2.4 can support 8 gb of ram is that true too!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Early 2008) 2.4GHz 4GB RAM running 10.5.4
"Externally, it would be unlikely for one to immediately notice a difference between the MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo Santa Rosa models -- the MacBook Pro "Core 2 Duo" 2.2 15" (Santa Rosa), "Core 2 Duo" 2.4 15" (Santa Rosa), and "Core 2 Duo" 2.4 17" (Santa Rosa) -- and their predecessors as each share identical cases. The 15-Inch "Santa Rosa" models weigh slightly less (5.4 pounds compared to 5.6 pounds) than the replaced systems, but one would have to be incredibly perceptive to notice such a minute difference.

With a 15-Inch "Santa Rosa" model and a 15-Inch model from the previous series side-by-side, however, one likely would notice that the "Santa Rosa" systems have a brighter "mercury-free power-efficient LED-backlit" 15.4" widescreen 1440x900 TFT active-matrix display. The 17-Inch "Santa Rosa" model has the same 17" widescreen CCFL-backlit 1680x1050 TFT active-matrix display as its predecessor, although a higher-resolution 1920x1200 display also is available by custom configuration.

All connectivity effectively is the same, with an ExpressCard/34 slot, AirPort Extreme (although the "Santa Rosa" models have 802.11n enabled by default), Bluetooth 2.0+EDR, Gigabit Ethernet, FireWire "400" port, Firewire "800" port, two USB 2.0 ports (three on the 17-Inch system), optical digital audio in/out, and DVI out. The "Santa Rosa" models also share the same fiber-optic-based "ambient light sensor" that adjusts keyboard illumination and screen brightness, "scrolling TrackPad", "MagSafe" power connector, integrated iSight video camera, and included Apple Remote.

Internally, the differences are more substantial. The "Santa Rosa" models use a more advanced architecture with a faster frontside bus (800 MHz compared to 667 MHz), additional RAM capacity (4 GB instead of 3 GB), a faster graphics processor (NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT instead of the ATI Mobility Radeon X1600), and superior power management (including a dynamically adjustable frontside bus, which when combined with the backlit LED display on 15-inch models results in an extra hour of estimated battery life and an additional 15 minutes on the 17-inch system). The 15-Inch "Santa Rosa" systems also have a slightly faster dual-layer SuperDrive (8X compared to 6X)."

Extract from: http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...ro-santa-rosa-and-macbook-pro-core-2-duo.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4 GHz C2D 160 GB HDD 2 GB RAM
First off, the new MBPs only support 4 GB of RAM. The only current Mac that supports 8 GB of RAM is the Mac Pro. Its actually upgradeable to 16 GB.

Secondly, I don't think you would need 8 GB of RAM to begin with. I could be wrong though. You only really need that much RAM if you're doing REALLY intensive stuff. For internet, word processing, and other normal day stuff you're fine with what you have.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!
the reason is i want to run the new mac os x leopard 100%
cuz i was thinking my mbp is old

MBP 2.4 can support 8 gb of ram is that true too!!!

WOW... I dunno what else to say... WOW

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blackbook, 2GHz Core Duo. 16Gb iPod Touch
He's saying dude, you dont need to upgrade....not only will your current MBP run leopard lightning fast, but this new one you want won't be any faster....look, stuff as much ram as you cann in your current one, its WAY more than enough for the needs you will use it for.....unless you just REALLY need a bigger screen then definitely wait. Besides you'll be kicking yourself in the butt when the new updated ones come out in a few months

you have the Core 2 Duo.....you're goood!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ipod video 30 gb/ Macbook Pro 2.2...... iphone up next i know
hey i have a question. I was offered a 2.3 MBP 15' for 1600 dollars. I know the the 2.4 MBP has substantial changes but really for that price is that a good move?

Reaction score
I was offered a 2.3 MBP 15' for 1600 dollars.

Darn that's a big screen... fifteen feet, eh?

Just kidding. It depends -- what would you be using it for? In most but the most demanding tasks, the difference between the older 2.33Ghz and current 2.2Ghz would be minimal. With the faster front side bus speed on the current MBPs, the 2.2Ghz may even perform better than the older 2.33Ghz in certain conditions. In addition, with the newer chipset there are small improvements made to heat management and battery life. Also, how much do you want the new LED screens that grace the current 15.4" Macbook Pro?

For the price difference of 400$, I'd go for the newer lowest-end Macbook Pro over the used 2.33Ghz model... the knowledge of where it's been and how it's been used are important to me, as is the fresh warranty. That's what I'd do, though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sorry for the typo lol but my dad found this website that had it listed. http://www.electroforless.com/index.php?target=products&product_id=410
I know if i went to buy the 2.2 from apple i would get the student discount.I am just trying to think of the best "bang for the buck". I am getting into photography, graphics and i want speed.(Tired of Xp) I have an xbox 360 so the gaming on the MBP isn't a big deal. I just want a rough and tough notebook, tthat can do everything I need and do the stuff I might want to do. I am not looking to edit movies or anything major i will be a newbie for a while.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5ghz powerbook g4, 1gb RAM, radeon mobility 9700, combo drive
devin,

you can actually get a refurbished macbook pro 15" (santa rosa base model) from apple for $1699. the refurbished 2.4ghz model goes for $2199. since it's being sold directly by apple, you get the advantage of having the refurb warranty and the satisfaction of knowing that it was inspected and tested by apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
First off, the new MBPs only support 4 GB of RAM. The only current Mac that supports 8 GB of RAM is the Mac Pro. Its actually upgradeable to 16 GB.

Secondly, I don't think you would need 8 GB of RAM to begin with. I could be wrong though. You only really need that much RAM if you're doing REALLY intensive stuff. For internet, word processing, and other normal day stuff you're fine with what you have.

The new MacBook Pros should support 8 gigs of ram, according to Intel's specifications for th Santa Rosa platform. The only problem is that no one makes 4 gig sticks! Even if they did, the current price would be astronomical. If you're willing to wait awhile though, the price will come down to very reasonable rates. I just picked up 4 gigs of ram (2x2gb) for my new MBP for $240, which to me is an amazing price for the amount of ram seeing as how desktop performance ram for PCs can cost easily that much.

Oh and the Mac Pro supports up to 32gb ram; you have to get it from an aftermarket supplier like OWC though, since Apple only offers up to 16gb ;)

Reaction score
sorry for the typo lol but my dad found this website that had it listed. http://www.electroforless.com/index.php?target=products&product_id=410
I know if i went to buy the 2.2 from apple i would get the student discount.I am just trying to think of the best "bang for the buck". I am getting into photography, graphics and i want speed.(Tired of Xp) I have an xbox 360 so the gaming on the MBP isn't a big deal. I just want a rough and tough notebook, tthat can do everything I need and do the stuff I might want to do. I am not looking to edit movies or anything major i will be a newbie for a while.

I would go with the current 2.2Ghz Macbook Pro, with the student discount it's like 1800$, and you get a free iPod (which you could sell if you didn't want). And you get the peace-of-mind of dealing with Apple. In terms of speed, again, IMO the bumped front side bus speed (667Mhz vs. 800Mhz) would at least make up for the 1.11Ghz deficiency.

If you're just getting into photography, there's no way you need 8Gb RAM, perhaps even in the future. The standard 2GB would be plenty, and, when the time comes, it'd be easy to double it to 4Gb. I have a few pro-photographer friends, and their Macbook Pros aren't even used for photo editing -- the screen's not good enough. It's just for downloading photos through Bridge... then they usually come back to a Mac Pro (modestly spec'd, max. 4Gb RAM but plenty of HDD space) and edit on a Apple Cinema Display or if they're more thrifty one of the better Dell or Viewsonic displays. :)

Really, though, just starting out photography you don't need anything fancy. Just a decent processor, 2Gb RAM, and a screen of decent colour reproduction and resolution... that will suffice until you start dealing with gigantic RAW files.

For something really rough-and-tumble, the MBP isn't going to stay pretty that long. They'll keep ticking for a long time, but the aluminum body is quite susceptible to scratches and dents. :) Rough-and-tumble would be... a Thinkpad. I daresay you may want to consider that, too, because the Quadro is a more workstation-oriented card, and you can get the 15.4" with a WUXGA screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for the information guys i really appreciate it. Based on my research and funds I will prob get the 2.2 MBP. When i get it i hope to have pics of it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.