Vista Audio Problem

Reaction score
Hi guys, I did a quick search on this and found nothing. Here is my problem

I installed vista on my macbook and no matter what I seem to do I can't get the optical output to send audio to my receiver. It works fine within OSX so that confirms any cable or setting on the receiver that might be wrong. I installed the mac driver cd from bootcamp that I downloaded about 2 weeks ago...

Any have this same problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz C2D, 1GB RAM, 320 HDD, Superdrive, Mighty Mouse
I'll take a wild guess and i once read Mac OS X drivers don't work very well in Windows, there are some that do, but others that don't....still, who buys a MB to install Windows? =S... Good Luck! probably Apple will release a new version of hardware drivers for Windows Vista.

OP
F
Reaction score
Ha ya, but until they make a port of newsleecher for osx and a media stream program for the xbox 360, I still have a use for windows. And besides it runs really good on a macbook.

But anyways, is there maybe custom drivers out there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Blackbook 1gb/160gb
Are you running Leopard? If you are all you have to do is put in your Leopard install disc while your running Vista and it will install all the drivers. I had the same problem last night until I put in the disc.

Reaction score
I do have the leopard dvd and i did install the drivers. I have sound, he problem is I cant record or broadcast my own sound from the sound card. I.E in windows encoder it won't give me my output as a broadcasting option. or in audacity it wont let me record anything comming onto my sound card.

Reaction score
same...

I'm having sort of the same problems.
I've installed vista via bootcamp. I used to run Logic Pro 8 having a mic go via a preamp into the minijack input on the back of my imac. It worked fine with logic. Then, when I used cubase with vista, my computer detects the build-in microphone and can record from it, however the sound is almost a second delayed. But the microphone and line in that goes from the preamp into the minijack does not work. In control panel, it says the hardware works fine but it is not available, plus it does not work in cubase, of course.

So my question is... can it be that the built-in soundcard that does not correspond well with windows? So if I bought an external soundcard would it work?
Or is there something I can do in terms of settings(though I feel I've tried everything) maybe another driver that works well with windows?

It would be annoying to spend money on an external soundcard if it doesn't solve my problem. And this setup is not my primary recording source, so there's no need to spend thousands on yet another sound card for homesetup only...

any help would be greatly appreciated

-Rasmus

Reaction score
Which CD

Are you running Leopard? If you are all you have to do is put in your Leopard install disc while your running Vista and it will install all the drivers. I had the same problem last night until I put in the disc.

Hey I'm running Windows Vista Basic and i Have a brand new macbook that came with leperd and a 2nd cd on says for mac coputers and the other one says Mac Os X install disc 2 which one do i use to get my sound drivers on to vista?:) :) :) :) :) :) :) ;D ;D :|

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
Hey I'm running Windows Vista Basic and i Have a brand new macbook that came with leperd and a 2nd cd on says for mac coputers and the other one says Mac Os X install disc 2 which one do i use to get my sound drivers on to vista? :|

use the one that says Mac OS X Install, the other has applications :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina 13", iMac G4, eMac G4, PowerMac G5, iBook G3, Mac Mini G4, iPod Classic, iPadAir2
I've got an interesting one that is similar. I've got an iMac 20" and I've installed Windows 7 via bootcamp. Everything works except my headphones port. The Realtek Audio driver that I got from the Mac OS X Snow Leopard CD seems to think that the headphones port is a Line In port, so won't output anything.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina 13", iMac G4, eMac G4, PowerMac G5, iBook G3, Mac Mini G4, iPod Classic, iPadAir2
I've got an interesting one that is similar. I've got an iMac 20" and I've installed Windows 7 via bootcamp. Everything works except my headphones port. The Realtek Audio driver that I got from the Mac OS X Snow Leopard CD seems to think that the headphones port is a Line In port, so won't output anything.

Any ideas?

I fixed it in the end. I just uninstalled the driver from Device Manager, re-booted and manually installed the Realtek driver from the Mac OS X 10.6 CD and it started to pick up the correct ports... It's just now being annoying with volume, as the highest volume on Windows 7 appears to be the same as 2 out of 16 on Mac OS X, so I have to really pump the volume on my hi-fi to max to get any decent sound out of Windows 7, and then I get deafened when I boot back into Mac OS X. :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.