Volume Header Needs Minor Repair

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
Hello guys,

I have just updated to the latest version of OnyX and when you run it for the first time it checks the startup volume. Upon completion of the scan OnyX told me that the volume needs to be repaired,

I have just done a verify disk using the disk utility tool and it has come up with the following:

"Volume Header needs minor repair
The volume Macintosh HD needs to be repaired.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1HFS volume checked
Volume needs repair"

However, the "repair disk" button is grayed out and won't let me click on it.

How do I go about repairing the volume?

Thanks in advance,

Chris. ;D

OP
MrChris
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
EDIT

I have found out how to repair the startup disk using the OSX install disk. For anyone who needs to know here's a copy of the Apple Help Article:

Testing and repairing your startup disk
If you have problems with your startup disk, you can use Disk Utility to test it for errors
and repair it. To repair your disk, you must start up from another disk, such as your
Install Mac OS X disc.
You may be able to test your startup disk without starting up from another disk. Open
Disk Utility, select your startup disk, and click First Aid. If the Verify Disk button is
available, click it to test your disk. You need to start up from another disk only if Disk
Utility finds errors or if the Verify Disk button is dimmed. When testing your startup disk,
Disk Utility may report errors when there are none. Starting up from another disk and
then running Disk Utility gives more accurate results.
You can always test and repair disk permissions on your startup disk without starting up
from another disk.
1. Start up your computer using another disk.
To use the Install Mac OS X disc, insert the disc and restart your computer
holding down the Option key, then select the Install Mac OS X disc and click the
arrow.
2. Open Disk Utility.
If you're using the Mac OS X Install disk, follow the onscreen instructions until the
menu bar appears with the Utilities menu in it., and then choose Utilities > Open
Disk Utility.
3. Select the startup disk in the list of disks and volumes, then click First Aid.
4. Check the S.M.A.R.T. Status at the bottom of the window. If you can't see it, be
sure you selected the hard disk your volume is on, and not the volume itself.
5. If the S.M.A.R.T. Status is "About to Fail," back up your files on the disk as soon
as possible and replace the disk.
6. If the S.M.A.R.T. Status is "Verified" or "Not supported," click Repair Disk to repair
the disk.
If Disk Utility tells you to look for links to corrupt files in the DamagedFiles directory, two
or more files occupy the same space on your hard disk and at least one of them is likely
to be corrupt. Examine each affected file in the DamagedFiles folder, which at the toplevel
of the affected disk. If you can replace it or recreate the file, delete it. If it contains
necessary information, open it and examine its data to make sure it has not been
corrupted.
If Disk Utility cannot repair your disk or reports "The underlying task reported failure," try
to repair the disk again. If that doesn't work, back up as much of your data as possible,
reformat your disk, reinstall Mac OS X, and restore your backed up data. If you continue
to have problems with your disk, it may be physically damaged and need to be replaced.
See an authorized Apple dealer for more information.

Regards,

Chris. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
You need to restart from either another partition of OS X or the restore disks that came with the computer. Then run disk utility and repair disk.

OP
MrChris
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
All repaired thanks :)

What would make the disk need repairing? Or is it just one of those things?

Regards,

Chris ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.