looking for advice on purchasing a macbook

Reaction score
hi everyone. i am interested in purchasing a used macbook. i've been looking on ebay for macbooks that come registered with applecare already (i figure that will protect me from anything thats broken). all i really do is surf the net, download media and watch movies on my computer. the max i want to spend is $1000. my questions are:
1. is there any difference in the 1.83ghz vs the 2.0ghz?
2. is there a specific generation of macbooks that are more desirable?
3. what else should i be looking for when buying one used? i don't want to get stuck with a computer i can't use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz, 2GB RAM
1.That really depends on your needs, so if you surf the net and download stuff and watch movies, 1.83 is good.
2. Always the latest generations are more interesting to me, because of great improvements such as Core2Duo, faster processors, and overall problem fixes.
3. Ummm well if you're getting it from eBay I don't really think you'll be able to check it out closely. Maybe have a word with the seller or email him :S

Reaction score
I had the same 1000 budget for a macbook, if i was you i would spend it all on a macbook which is less than a year old and get the applecare yourself later.

I was able to get a 13" black macbook core 2 on ebay 3 months old for around 1000. i did bid on several macbooks but only up to what i thought was the laptops limit.

You should be able to pick up a used mint core 2 duo 2ghz make sure its a core 2 cause some of the auctions can be misleading. That would give you a fairly new macbook rather than the core duo model and you can get applecare within the first year.

OP
M
Reaction score
i was under the impression that there is a time limit of 90 days from purchase to when you can register your laptop with applecare. i guess i'm wrong?
applecare costs $183 with the student discount right?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.